How to build a stir plate for less than ten quid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got everything delivered! Put it all together, plugged it in and bang... (well, the sound of the fuse going in the transformer). I double checked I'd got all polarities right (both before plugging it in, and again afterwards). Maybe I've got a dud something along the way? If I can dismantle the transformer is there a standard fuse hidden inside that I can replace?

Got everything delivered! Put it all together, plugged it in and bang... (well, the sound of the fuse going in the transformer). I double checked I'd got all polarities right (both before plugging it in, and again afterwards). Maybe I've got a dud something along the way? If I can dismantle the transformer is there a standard fuse hidden inside that I can replace?

I've never actually taken one apart so I don't honestly know. Did you check all the connections, no stray cores sticking out, shorting anywhere?

Well I finally got around to building it - decided to have some speed numbers for a laugh the spin starts at 86 and is best at 96 - after that it throws the bar off to the side.

Iits a bit gash at the moment - needs to be prettied up a bit. The top is a piece of kitchen towel over the glass top I fitted, it deadens any noise and allows for any drips from clumsy carp - me !

So now to put it into use for the next brew :)

stir plate.jpg

Well I finally got around to building it - decided to have some speed numbers for a laugh the spin starts at 86 and is best at 96 - after that it throws the bar off to the side.

Iits a bit gash at the moment - needs to be prettied up a bit. The top is a piece of kitchen towel over the glass top I fitted, it deadens any noise and allows for any drips from clumsy carp - me !

So now to put it into use for the next brew :)

Nice one pal,
Looks like a very top notch one to me.
Chuffed to bits with the ones I made, the MkI needs sorting out the Magnets but the MkII is a dream.
Off to do a starter for my brew day!
Bri

I've never actually taken one apart so I don't honestly know. Did you check all the connections, no stray cores sticking out, shorting anywhere?

Pretty sure there wasn't anything sticking out. I found another 12V transformer in the flat and I tried that and it works so I must have got a dud. It's working now though, which is the important thing.

Just need to find a case for it...

Pretty sure there wasn't anything sticking out. I found another 12V transformer in the flat and I tried that and it works so I must have got a dud. It's working now though, which is the important thing.

Just need to find a case for it...

I suppose it's a risk you take when buying cheap bits from China, but glad you're up and running now :thumb:

i assembled all the parts for this. rigged up to test before installing in the box but nothing. my fan has 3 wires, earlier post said that no harm can be done by connecting wrong wires. after various combinations i got a burning smell and a little smoke from the fan hub! i guess I've burnt out the fan motor?

I've checked the out put terminal on the controller and 12v is fine. little led lights up and varies brightness when knob turned.

does polarity input to the controller matter?

shall i just order another fan?

Most fans have polarity protection which means if it's connected wrong it simply won't work, but shouldn't cause any damage. It sounds like yours didn't have protection if it's smoking.

For future reference, I found this with a bit of googling:

If you have a 3 wire fan and you don't know which wire is which, hold the connector as shown in the picture and the wires are:

Tacho at the top (not needed)
Positive in the middle
Neutral at the bottom.

That goes for all 3 wire fans, you can't necessarily tell from the colours of the wires because they are not universal. (source)

I think all the gear has finally come to make mine 😀 but with work it looks like a couple of weeks before i can put it together

Finally gathering parts to build one of these, most parts free from work (Fan, HDD Magnet, 12v PSU) got the PWM and the Stir bar on their way from ebay.

Where is the best place to buy the mounting hardware from, and by best I mean the cheapest :-)

And so I need a 2000ml flask for a decent sized starter or would a 1000ml be adequate?

Thanks, I'll go for the 2000 then, to save some similar future extra expense.

Still after some cheap screws and nuts if anyone has a link?

I've had glassware (beakers and flasks) off these guys:
https://www.creamsupplies.co.uk/academy-glass-conical-flask-2000ml-huge

The 'academy' stuff is good (and cheap) and boiled wort can be cooled in sink of cold tap water without the glass shattering etc.

postage is also cheap.

I have had 1litre flasks in the past but just ordered a 2litre one as for larger 1l starters is required.

Latest posts

Back