How to calculate for Chaptalization ? and other stuff

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but if you don't know how much to add you could spend ages adding small amounts and doing lots of readings or could go the other way and add too much. A few moments with a calculator gets you there quickly.
From what I've read so far in this thread it's going to take rather more than a few moments to get to some sort of an answer. I'd have had my sugar in, followed by the yeast and it all bubbling away nicely by now.

I was worried his stuff would go off in the meatime.
You cant let things hang about forever
Wine must is such an atractive enviroment for all sorts of bugs,Not just yeast.

To add to what Stevieboy has said I do think you are overcomplicating things. No doubt stronger wines do keep longer but how long are you planning? as normal ABV's of 12.5% and above are well up for storage.
You are trying to cram too much knowledge in at the start I would do a normal wine as Stevieboy suggests and get the process sorted first.
I am not saying what you are doing(seeking Knowledge) is wrong its good but get the basics first is my advice then go from thereathumb..
Plus I am sure you will want to sample your goods quickly we are all impatient

Andrew - just make a must with a Hydrometer reading of 1.080 or more, get it fermented and bottled. Stop worrying about Brix and Plato and all that nonsense. You are massively over complicating things.
Yes, agree with you. But i would like to master the art of it.. don't like to blindly do things.. because if i don't learn now, i will sure have to learn next year.. I have being doing blindly ("less than half bucket of water" in term of knowledge of wine making) for several years... only this year i am determine to really grasp it..

Just to spit it out, i have 3 batches of grape wine currently fermenting. two 1 gallon and one 17 liters.. i purposely don't mix them, 1 is because i harvested the grape in batch, 2 i have different yeast in each, 3 i want to experience the different..

Last edited:
I was worried his stuff would go off in the meatime.
You cant let things hang about forever
Wine must is such an atractive enviroment for all sorts of bugs,Not just yeast.
Wil a non properly fermented wine get bad and causing stomach ache (if no mold)?

To add to what Stevieboy has said I do think you are overcomplicating things. No doubt stronger wines do keep longer but how long are you planning? as normal ABV's of 12.5% and above are well up for storage.
You are trying to cram too much knowledge in at the start I would do a normal wine as Stevieboy suggests and get the process sorted first.
I am not saying what you are doing(seeking Knowledge) is wrong its good but get the basics first is my advice then go from thereathumb..
Plus I am sure you will want to sample your goods quickly we are all impatient
1 of the 1 gallon wine taste weird by now.. this is the one that was having bad startup. due to i decided to abort turbo yeast (to purchase a proper yeast).
It taste a bit off.. i don't know how nail polisher smells like, but it has a tiny weird taste to it.. i suppose the "off" flavor.. or nail polish smell "as said by other people (with fermented badly). If not wrong, it also has got "smokey" taste ?! (each time after i swallow the "wine" i always felt smoked sort of taste. But i am not sure i got it properly described or not.

the 17.5liter wine smell fruity still. so it should be good still.

Btw, when should i remove the grape pulp that is floating ? is it just after 1 week of fermenting (blindly follow) or when the peel turns dull color and floated.. ?
Does the longer the skin of grape "soak" in wine, the bitter it will be (due to tannin) ? or the tannin has long being released into the "juice" ?

Last edited:
Andrew please,please get your wine fermenting
use a proper wine yeast
NOT this turbo ****
Ensure your starting gravity is about 1.080 and go from there.
Thinking about it its a little late now
Perhaps next year,???

use a proper wine yeast
NOT this turbo ****
Perhaps next year,???
Ya.. next year .. i have got proper wine yeast purchased (4 packs) in fridge now.

use a proper wine yeast
NOT this turbo ****
Perhaps next year,???
Is it possible grape wine taste "smokey " ?

When all the colour has leeched out is the time

In answer to your second question if you make wine from canabis yes it will taste "smokey" 😁

Andrew - we're all flying blind here, because you've made such a hash of the start, we can't make your wine taste good. But we'll try and save some of it, if we can.

Can you take a hydrometer reading of the 17.5l batch and let us know what it is please.

Hi A
Although my numbers were right I failed to recognise that you were starting out and apologise if I muddied the water. Your question on ABV was the very sort of puzzle I love hence getting so excited!
That said, listen to all the advice about keeping things straight forward and measurable. Its awesome you are using your own grapes and it would be a shame not to utilise them fully.
I wish I had had this type of resource when setting out. Baby steps........
T

Hi A
Although my numbers were right I failed to recognise that you were starting out and apologise if I muddied the water. Your question on ABV was the very sort of puzzle I love hence getting so excited!
That said, listen to all the advice about keeping things straight forward and measurable. Its awesome you are using your own grapes and it would be a shame not to utilise them fully.
I wish I had had this type of resource when setting out. Baby steps........
T
Why the apology ? I felt what you posted before is good info , in fact i took note of it in my wine note book.. I felt what you said is totally right and good info.

Andrew - we're all flying blind here, because you've made such a hash of the start, we can't make your wine taste good. But we'll try and save some of it, if we can.

Can you take a hydrometer reading of the 17.5l batch and let us know what it is please.
Starting measurements: brix 16.7% , SG 1.070 (roughly only able to make 9.19%ABV if fermented to FG=1.000)
no record
21 oct measured: SG = 1.010 , Brix = 5.7 - 5.9% (most probably affected by alcohol produced) , PH = 2.7
21 oct night measured: 5.1% brix, added 250g white sugar, brix become 7.1% ( the goal is keep adding 250g sugar until yeast can't take it anymore).
23 oct measured: SG = 0.997, Brix = 5.6% , Taste test: unpalatable, bitter sour..
23 oct added in 500g white sugar
23 oct measured: SG = 1.016, Brix = 8.6%, taste test: at least taste better; not so unpalatable.
no time.
26 oct morning, added in 200g of white sugar without measuring. **no time to check**
26 oct evening, sieved out grape pulb because all color has already leached out .
20211026_213627.jpg

26 oct evening, measured: 16 liter of wine. SG = 0.996 PH = 2.7 taste test: taste much like watered down juice.. weird. but smells fruity.
26 oct add in 400g sugar (just to keep it going, hopefully)
26 oct switch to air lock

i think my goal for this is to make it as high as possible until the yeast stopped.. then i back sweeten it just enough .. I don't think i want to use any chemical to stop it at specific ABV.

Can you tell me how much sugar to add each time (drip feed) for a liter of "juice" , so won't hinder the yeast ? and also not over the board ? seems to be 500g is still ok to it for 16 liter .. ..but usually how much sugar / liter ?

20211026_220743.jpg

Last edited:
Andrew -

This will also be my last post on this -

1. Add 400g more sugar, fit your airlock and let the fermentation fully finish. Then see what it's like.

2. Buy a book called "First Steps in Winemaking" by C J J Berry - read it cover to cover twice before you make any more wine.

Back