How to cask ale. Part 1.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frogfurlong said:
This is a lovely "how to" :thumb:

Do you know if these plasicasks can be used for wines too? I know wine matures better in bulk so this would be ideal for big batch winemaking.

And I'm getting tempted by the dark side....

Nonononnonoononononononononononononononononono :eek: Beer only lastes 3 months tops in a cask without spoiling so wine is a no go if you want to bulk age just use a carboy and a rubber bung with no hole.

Devonhomebrew said:
Nonononnonoononononononononononononononononono :eek: Beer only lastes 3 months tops in a cask without spoiling so wine is a no go if you want to bulk age just use a carboy and a rubber bung with no hole.

I'll take that as a no then :lol:

Thanks DevonHB :thumb:

JABB said:
Can you run us through exactly how you dispense please?
Step 1) Spile
2) Let it vent for a bit
3) Hit tap in with one swift wack (to not disturb any more sediment)
4) Leave it to settle a bit longer
5) drink.

Its best within 3 days, can push up to a week.

Unless of course you have a cask breather.

I dispense my cask beer with a "Cask Widge" set up connected to a Beer engine. I love it because the barrel sits upright therefore less space and wont roll!! It also takes the beer from the top so speeds up any settling time!

tim

timbowden said:
I dispense my cask beer with a "Cask Widge" set up connected to a Beer engine. I love it because the barrel sits upright therefore less space and wont roll!! It also takes the beer from the top so speeds up any settling time!

tim

It wont roll anyway if you use wooden chocks to hold the cask! :wha:

:lol:

Latest posts

Back