How to cut through Stainless Steel using a Q-Max cutter

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

andysmok

Reaction score
Hi all, thought i'd make a quick how to for using a Q-Max cutter as I found this method very easy when I converted my 60l thermo and 100l pot into a mash tun and boiler.

Heres how to cut a 20mm hole, I'm useless with a drill normally but this was easy!

Here is the cutter, It comprises of allen key bolt, a spacer and a cutting dye.

First of all you need to make a hole big enough for the allen key bolt to go through. I needed a 10mm hole for my 8mm allen key bolt.(its good to make the hole just a little bit bigger than the bolt). I used a series of bits for ease.

Heres the hole. As you can see it is very untidy.

I then place the allen key bolt with the spacer through the hole from the inside and threaded the cutting dye onto the bolt from the outside.

I then start to tighten up the bolt using a 8mm allen key.

As you tighten it up using your allen key the cutting dye will start to clamp onto the pot and then dig in

After a few rotations using the allen key the cutting dye does its job and comes through to the inside.

Everyone loves a nice clean hole :rofl:

Don't forget to unscrew your cutter and take the waste piece of steel out.

Hope this helps someone.

Sean_Mc

Regular.
Reaction score
Thanks Andy, when I can get a steel boiler I was wondering how to cut the holes for the elements.
Look easy, well you make it look easy.

Sean :cheers:

andysmok

Reaction score
I got a little buzz off doing that 'how to, Might just make a post of my build as well, although i did copy Vossy's guide!

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
Nice one Andy, the Q-max cutters can be difficult to visualise when you read about how they work, this how to is going to be very useful.

Nice one :thumb:

A T

Regular.
Reaction score
Nice how to :thumb: I used a q-max when converting my pots and i'll second that they are very easy to use and leave you with a nice clean hole :)

Sean_Mc

Regular.
Reaction score
Where would I start looking for a Qmax cutter?
I found Buck and Hickman through google, £12.44 including P&P for a 20mm cutter.
Really could do with the cutter today, so would i get one on an industrial estate?

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
Don't know on that one Sean only ever seen tham in ebay, Try a hardware store or fasteners place?

Sean_Mc

Regular.
Reaction score
Thanks James, but I just bought one from Buck and Hickman in Ellesmere port....bugger
Seriously, never lend me tools I tend to lose them or break them ;)

BarnsleyBrewer

Reaction score
I know I should know but I'm at work and not able to double check size before I order...

Standard tap 20mm ??
standard element 30mm ??

Thanks'
BB