How to cut through Stainless Steel using a Q-Max cutter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Standard' Kettle element - 38mm or 40mm . . . . I have a 40mm and all the kettle elements I have measured are 38mm (DOH!)

And standard 1/2" BSP nipple diameter is 20mm . . . more or less . . . 19mm if you want to thread it ;) . . . If you punch 20mm you will need to tickle it out a fraction with a file so its a snug fit.

Is there any particular reason why you put the cutting die on the outside?
Wouldn't the "concave" effect be more friendly to the sealing washer if it was on the inside!

Are they standard allen keys that you need with the Q-Max?

Off Topic..... :oops:
Anyone got that link to the SS supplier on ebay France? the one where Nadine is..
BB

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Are they standard allen keys that you need with the Q-Max?

Off Topic..... :oops:
Anyone got that link to the SS supplier on ebay France? the one where Nadine is..
BB

Hi BB...

Tis as follows.....

[email protected]

Nadine Strobel
Bergland Handels GmbH
Kirchstr. 71 - 73

08248 Klingenthal

Germany

Sorry.. on the keys.
..I sent away for a 20 mm for the tank connector and a 1.5 inch for the elements which works out at 38.1mm they sell them with their own keys...but I found that both keys are the same ...bugger....only needed to buy one to do both.

Also the 1.5 inch works great...the Tesco element fit like a dream :thumb:

Try Here they list them in size.... start with mm then they jump to imperial then back to mm
so they get most size's.

hope this helps :thumb:

Boiler decommissioning
It's always a sad day when any brewing boiler is decommissioned :cry: :cry: :cry:
th_oldboiler.jpg

But hey, Yin & Yang... Old & New... Good & Bad...There's always something better that'll come along :hmm:
...It has, my shiny new boiler is about to be commissioned in the near future... :D :D :D

I'm sure you'd all like to wish me good luck regarding my new member of the family. :thumb:
Newboiler.jpg

th_Holesinlid.jpg

BB

Welcome to Shiny World BB - Beware thought ..they multiply and before you know it you will have another :whistle:

Congratulations Brew Buddy :clap: Excellent Jobbie - Bet drilling those holes in the lid was a right B....rd :lol: :lol:

I bought this Forstner Bit Set from screwfix a wee while back. I've used it to drill a hole in my plastic FV to take a tap for the little bottler, and I've also used one to cut through a huge wooden door to fit a massive padlock for my sister - the point in that is that it cut through nails and screws without much problem - It may well cut through thin stainless steel without to many problems.. :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

If it would work, then for £26 you get 16 different sizes of cutters - not bad!!!

Dieseljockey said:
Brill job BB... :thumb:
Looks like the dogs boll....testicles :rofl:

Did you go down the Q-max road??? for the holes??
Hi DJ
Yep, I bought the cutters for £15.00 from a local tool supplier, decent quality and made in "ENGLAND", was well chuffed how easy they were to use.
Going to buy more SS stuff now to work on LoL :D

Thanks' for the size info DJ :thumb:

John

Mods. can't this be edited and made into a sticky?? :D
This is a great how to regarding the main engineering towards a SS copper for members and a shame to loose it.... :hmm:

BB :thumb:

It's got a nice new SS top on now for the steam extraction, works fantastic... :thumb:
I can brew in the shed during winter and all the steam goes outside and the heat from the boiler keeps me warm in the shed. :D
Holesinlid.jpg

Bowl.jpg

I LOVE MY Q-MAX CUTTERS!! :whistle:

Wow... what a brill idea John with the pipe to the outside :thumb:
Why didn't I think of that one :whistle:

When we're back from holls I can see the Q-max cutters coming out and the same work on my 100L pot lid....because I will be brewing in a small brick outhouse...vent the steam Ya... :clap:

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Dieseljockey said:
Brill job BB... :thumb:
Looks like the dogs boll....testicles :rofl:

Did you go down the Q-max road??? for the holes??
Hi DJ
Yep, I bought the cutters for £15.00 from a local tool supplier, decent quality and made in "ENGLAND", was well chuffed how easy they were to use.
Going to buy more SS stuff now to work on LoL :D

Thanks' for the size info DJ :thumb:

John

What Local supplier was that BB?

Did not realise how much they were, the costs are starting to add up!

Latest posts

Back