How to cut through Stainless Steel using a Q-Max cutter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andysmok

Reaction score
Hi all, thought i'd make a quick how to for using a Q-Max cutter as I found this method very easy when I converted my 60l thermo and 100l pot into a mash tun and boiler.

Heres how to cut a 20mm hole, I'm useless with a drill normally but this was easy!

DSC02918.jpg

Here is the cutter, It comprises of allen key bolt, a spacer and a cutting dye.

DSC02917.jpg

First of all you need to make a hole big enough for the allen key bolt to go through. I needed a 10mm hole for my 8mm allen key bolt.(its good to make the hole just a little bit bigger than the bolt). I used a series of bits for ease.

DSC02916.jpg

Heres the hole. As you can see it is very untidy.

DSC02919.jpg

DSC02920.jpg

DSC02921.jpg

I then place the allen key bolt with the spacer through the hole from the inside and threaded the cutting dye onto the bolt from the outside.

DSC02924.jpg

I then start to tighten up the bolt using a 8mm allen key.

DSC02926.jpg

As you tighten it up using your allen key the cutting dye will start to clamp onto the pot and then dig in

DSC02929.jpg

DSC02930.jpg

DSC02931.jpg

DSC02934.jpg

After a few rotations using the allen key the cutting dye does its job and comes through to the inside.

DSC02963.jpg

Everyone loves a nice clean hole :rofl:

DSC02937.jpg

Don't forget to unscrew your cutter and take the waste piece of steel out.

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks Andy, when I can get a steel boiler I was wondering how to cut the holes for the elements.
Look easy, well you make it look easy.

Sean :cheers:

I got a little buzz off doing that 'how to, Might just make a post of my build as well, although i did copy Vossy's guide!

Nice one Andy, the Q-max cutters can be difficult to visualise when you read about how they work, this how to is going to be very useful.

Nice one :thumb:

Nice how to :thumb: I used a q-max when converting my pots and i'll second that they are very easy to use and leave you with a nice clean hole :)

Where would I start looking for a Qmax cutter?
I found Buck and Hickman through google, £12.44 including P&P for a 20mm cutter.
Really could do with the cutter today, so would i get one on an industrial estate?

Don't know on that one Sean only ever seen tham in ebay, Try a hardware store or fasteners place?

Thanks James, but I just bought one from Buck and Hickman in Ellesmere port....bugger
Seriously, never lend me tools I tend to lose them or break them ;)

I know I should know but I'm at work and not able to double check size before I order...

Standard tap 20mm ??
standard element 30mm ??

Thanks'
BB

Latest posts

Back