How to degas wine with a home made degassing wand

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent,
I'll be rooting for one of these coat hangers later.
Thanks. 👍

Forgot to post I did make one 👍

IMG_20210523_010037103.jpg

Thanks Chippy, going up into loft tomorrow to find a plastic coat hanger. 1 min sounds a lot better than shaking a DJ for days. 😎

I bought the stainless steel one in the picture below when my trusty old home made one finally snapped and i couldn't find a round coat hanger to replace it, to be honest its better at degassing than my effort was (it doesn't splash as much), the one in the second link is a lot cheaper and is similar to the one i made.

https://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/degasser-wine-whip/
https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/wine-whip-degasser

View attachment 67335
Chippy, do you use it in a 5 ltr DJ. Are the flap out arms made of plastic. Thanks again. 🙂🍷🥂

I made this (and I'm quite pleased with it )
Sawed the end off a €2 beer paddle (hoping it would fit in the drill direct - it didn't)
But an 11mm Nut socket (which was sitting on the bottom of my tool case) is so secure I can't actually get it back off

Attachments

• Degassing wand end .jpg
    Degassing wand end .jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2462 2.jpg
    IMG_2462 2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 0
Thats going to cause a stir :laugh8: :coat:

I would go slow and steady i can imagine that's going to cause quite a vortex, If the socket comes off you could always use some strong glue to keep it in place,

I made this (and I'm quite pleased with it )
Sawed the end off a €2 beer paddle (hoping it would fit in the drill direct - it didn't)
But an 11mm Nut socket (which was sitting on the bottom of my tool case) is so secure I can't actually get it back off
I had a similar idea but filed the end of handle square to fit in my cordless makita and attached some cable ties to make a whip. Sterilised and worked a treat so thought I would share. Ps 1st post here and been brewing for 20 years on and off, currently doing a lot of SG platinum pinot for wife.
20230909_183609.jpg
20230909_183631.jpg
20230909_183621.jpg

Attachments

• 20230909_183631.jpg
    20230909_183631.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 0
I had a similar idea but filed the end of handle square to fit in my cordless makita and attached some cable ties to make a whip. Sterilised and worked a treat so thought I would share. Ps 1st post here and been brewing for 20 years on and off, currently doing a lot of SG platinum pinot for wife.View attachment 89724View attachment 89727View attachment 89725
Neat idea.
How long do you spin it for?
How do you know when the job is done?

I bought a degasser to fit my drill and it works great. I should have waited for this post but Hey Ho.

However...Is it possible to over-degas the wine?

I mainly use kits atm but occasionally do country wines.

I bought a degasser to fit my drill and it works great

When my coat hanger degasser finally broke i bought one of these -

1709154604571.png

However...Is it possible to over-degas the wine?

Not really, a minute spent switching between forward for 5 seconds then reverse for 5 seconds with the drill will do the job.

Back