How to degas wine with a home made degassing wand

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to de-gas once upon a time but found patience with time or a trip through a filter solved that problem, much easier :)

I brought one of these http://www.home-brew-online.com/equipment-c40/home-brew-online-degassing-tool-p1107?mc_cid=a9 could not bother with coat hangers I had enough of them when I was a dry cleaner for short while I used thousands of the sods ARGH:doh:

I have one of these and it is excellent although after a few spins on the drill one of the 'nylons' escaped from the top end. A bit of super glue sorted it. Tip - when the drill is on clockwise rotate the wand anti clockwise around the edge of the dj or fv, then visa versa for the anti spin. Prevents vortex.

I always try and avoid anything recommended by that Matt Williams guy. I remember watching a few of his videos when starting and god he makes it sound like a dull and laborious process.

Also the white sheet background makes it seem that he is half way through clearing up after murdering his wife.

Microwaved coat hanger does the job for me. Also power drill rather than cordless drill all the way.

I always try and avoid anything recommended by that Matt Williams guy. I remember watching a few of his videos when starting and god he makes it sound like a dull and laborious process.

Also the white sheet background makes it seem that he is half way through clearing up after murdering his wife.

Microwaved coat hanger does the job for me. Also power drill rather than cordless drill all the way.

+ 1 on the coat hanger if you can be arsed to make one ( which I have ) but.......... power instead of cordless? Is it a speed thing or have you not got a cordless or is it just a cheap one? :mrgreen::) . Joking aside my cordless Makita does it fine.

@Chippy Tea I would happily take advice from that bloke with twenty wine glasses and posh wine shelves though!

@chippy Tea I would happily take advice from that bloke with twenty wine glasses and posh wine shelves though!

I like the vacuum method but it looks a bit long winded to me, i get a DJ done in about a minute using the forward & reverse method with my wand so have never really looked into other wands and methods.

I cut my plastic round coat hanger, however the ends have small hollow holes. Was this the wrong type because bacteria could form in here?

If its only a small hollow i would not worry if the whole thing is hollow it may not be suitable, you will be sterilising it so a small hollow wont be a problem, if you want to be 100% sure pour boiling water over the end just before you use it.

Ladies n Gents, what about a long plastic stick or the straight bit of the hanger, drill 5 x 3mm holes and pass through, some garden strimmer nylon through it,make into loops so will fit in demijohn, as it is flexible and fix it with some super glue or to put a knot either side so stays in same place? Just a thought.

One of our members bought one of these and says it works well, you could of course make one but the coat hanger is readily available only takes a couple of minutes to bend and does the job well, horses for corses and all that. :wink:.

clean-bottle-express-wine-degasser-web.jpg

I'm going for the coat hanger method in a bucket on my first wine kit, but my drill only has one speed (very fast) and one direction... Will this be a problem? How long will it take?

Should I bottle straight away (as the kit says) or rack to DJ's for a while?

What kit? 30 bottle or 6 bottle?
Drill should be no problem but try to not create a vortex that sucks air in. I find rotating the whole drill and wand in te opposite direction to spin and keeping it low helps prevent this.

Was it racked at an earlier stage? What vessel do you have it in at the moment? If it was racked at an earlier stage off the oak etc if used then you should not need to rack again. Just degas, stabilise then fine.

What kit? 30 bottle or 6 bottle?
Drill should be no problem but try to not create a vortex that sucks air in. I find rotating the whole drill and wand in te opposite direction to spin and keeping it low helps prevent this.

Was it racked at an earlier stage? What vessel do you have it in at the moment? If it was racked at an earlier stage off the oak etc if used then you should not need to rack again. Just degas, stabilise then fine.

It's a 30 bottle Wilko kit in a 30ltr bucket. The instruction says rack to DJ to de-gas a week after adding stabiliser and finings, and then bottle. I'm at that stage now.

Could you give us the kit name as you usually degas before adding the finings the reason being the CO2 bubbles can hold the sediment and stop it clearing properly i have also never heard of instructions telling you to rack from a 23 litre bucket into 5 demijohns.

Could you give us the kit name as you usually degas before adding the finings the reason being the CO2 bubbles can hold the sediment and stop it clearing properly i have also never heard of instructions telling you to rack from a 23 litre bucket into 5 demijohns.

It's the Wilko medium dry white. The instructions say:
"...Once fermentation is complete add the wine stabiliser followed by finings A. Stir, then leave to stand for one hour. Then add finings B, stir gently, move to cool location and leave to clear. This will take up to 7 days. When the wine is crystal clear, syphon it directly from the fermenter into a secondary fermenter, stir well to remove unwanted CO2. Then syphon into bottles..."

That is strange all the kits i have made (including Wilko ones) have said to degas before adding finings, below is part of the instructions for a Wilko kit i reviewed a couple of years ago, obviously follow the instructions for the kit you have.

You start this kit with only 1.8 litres of cold water, you then add the ingredients sachets and 450g of sugar, on day three you are advised to top up to 4.5 litres, i did this and unlike the Black Cherry it did not flow out of the airlock the next day.

When fermentation has finished you add a sachet of flavouring and swirl the DJ.

24 hours later you degas add finings and stabiliser and wait another week before bottling.

Back