How to... Dry Hop a Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gurtpint said:
Should dry hopping be done in relation to the amount of hops used during the boil? Any guidelines?

It should be done in relation to the amount of hops in your fridge :D

:D ^ You two are dead reliable on this matter... "Can't fault the 'erb, mon!"

Anyway, my last couple of brews have been more on the malty side of things and I think I want to make a hoppy bitter next. The grain bill should be along the lines of Big Kenny and I'll be bittering it to around 50 IBUs. I'd like to get a bit more hop aroma too, but I'm undecided whether to steep the extra hops after the boil or to add them to the FV. Is there a big difference in taste either way? Can steeping hops result to cloudy beer? As perhaps the cold break isn't as effective if you chill the wort to 80C, wait around for 20 mins or so and then chill it down to pitching temp? I did an ipa this way and it refused to clear.

I`ve not had any issues with clearing when steeping hops or dry hopping, i haven`t got a chiller so have to make do chilling in a metal pan in the sink with icepacks in the water :D What yeast did you use? US-05 can be a pain if it hasn`t totally finished......my next pale/hoppy monster will be using wlp051 :thumb:
I find that dry hopping can improve the aroma quite a bit more than steeping - I often do both ;) The aroma gives a better perception of hop flavour as well (I find) Try drinking or eating something whilst pinching your nose - smell plays an important part in the whole experience :drink:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Rick - busy times... :( The yeast I used in my ipa was S-04 and from what I've gathered people seldom have issues with it not clearing up after itself properly. I initially suspected wheat malt as the cause of the haze but the amount used was small so it probably not that either, methinks. I'll be using WLP002 for my bitter (since I still have 5 bottles of that in the fridge :D ) and I'd also like to use my one and only sachet of US-05 for an APA (along the lines of SNPA) before summer. Just need to order some yankee hops. I think I'll be dry hopping both! 50g of Goldings for dry hopping the bitter ok? And same amount of Cascade for SNPA? :cheers:

I suppose sometimes it just doesn`t clear :( I`ve never had a problem with wheat malt really, even my hefe has cleared in the bottle :lol: Would reccomend the SNPA, anything with loads of cascade is a winner - they use us-05 apparently. Dry hopping amounts look great, you could use less if you wanted but I`d go with what you have said (predictable :cool: )

:drink:

Stupid question 1 - as suggested in a previous post, I am now dry hopping a kit. Should my muslin bag on dry hops float? ist that right? I feel they would be better totally submerged in the brew.

2 - It was suggested earlier in the thread that dry hopping should take place in a colder temperature. How cold? Should i move the bucket to the garage?

I normally chuck the hops in loose and give a gentle stir a couple times a day - however you could add some weight to the bag (sanitised weight - i have used a marble pestle before) this will sink the hops. I am not sure if this makes any difference - plenty of hops normally work :D

As for the temp :hmm: mine always sits in the kitchen at around 18degrees and no problems, I`m currently dry hopping 45litres of pale ale smells lovely :cool:

Bottled my first dry hopped beer last night. Didn't go very smoothly and I had to resort to some manouvering to get the beer into my bottling bucket, since the gauze I had wrapped around my racking cane was apparently too thick to let the liquid through. Ended up pouring the beer through a sieve as gently as I was able, getting most of the hop bits out. I think I'll get in touch with my feminine side and get some pantyhose for filtering purposes next time. Anyone here used them (for filtering I mean :D )?

I just left the whole loose hops in the secondary for 10 days - no stirring, no nowt. Does stirring help with getting the hops sink to the bottom of the bucket or will they just keep on floating merrily unless a bag + weight are used? I reckon this AIPA will have some bits and pieces in it, but I hope it will at least taste good (and not be oxidized, grr).

I think I'll get in touch with my feminine side and get some pantyhose for filtering purposes next time. Anyone here used them (for filtering I mean :D )?
Yep, they work just fine :lol:
Stirring aroma hops always helps as it agitates and dissipates the aroma complexes.

Vossy1 said:
Stirring aroma hops always helps as it agitates and dissipates the aroma complexes.

I stand corrected. So there are no issues with oxidation or infection provided that I used well-sanitized paddle and avoid splashing? Does stirring actually help with getting the hops to sink?

Latest posts

Back