How to get commercial labels of bottles?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W0nderW0man

Regular.
Reaction score
I am struggling to get commercial labels off the bottles before oven sterilisation. Any tips? They are now soaking in hot water with soap, not ideal as it is a pain to rinse out.

I leave mine to soak in a bowl of hot water with some mild fragrant free detergent....after half hr or so most will peel off easy enough, if not then I scrape off with butter knife.....i then soak for a further half hr so that glue dissolves....i then attack with some wire wool and rinse thoroughly

Lighter fluid might work (you can buy it in Pound shops but it's usually behind the counter). Lighter fluid dissolves the glue, it works great for sticky tape but I'm not sure how it would work with beer bottles.

Only buy beers that have labels that come off easily when you're stocking up on bottles! I've found that for some unknown reason most German wheat beer labels come off incredibly easily. Also Banks's labels slide straight off in warm water, though you are cursed with having to drink Banks's as a result. The stubby Belgian ale bottles always seem to lose their labels really easily too.

I soaked mine in a strong solution of hot water and oxi washing powder. After a soak for about an hour, those which did not peel of where scrubbed with a metal scourer. Doesn't take much elbow grease

I soak mine in a large sink which has a good amount of household bleach in there, probably about 500ml of bleach & then fill with hot water.
Leave them to soak about 20mins & most labels come off very easily. Some more persistent ones come off with a Stanley knife easily enough.

Hi!
+1 for Wizz Oxi in hot water. Soak for about 30 minutes, making sure the bottle is filled with the solution to get heat going from both sides of the label.
I found Zywiec labels slid off after a couple of minutes, Old Mout took a little longer, Newcastle Brown took about 20 minutes and Bulmers took the full 30 minutes. No scrubbing needed.
I got a chalky residue on some bottles (soaked too long) but it came off when rinsed with vinegar.
Colin

Only buy beers that have labels that come off easily when you're stocking up on bottles! I've found that for some unknown reason most German wheat beer labels come off incredibly easily. Also Banks's labels slide straight off in warm water, though you are cursed with having to drink Banks's as a result. The stubby Belgian ale bottles always seem to lose their labels really easily too.

Badger's bottle labels come off really easily in hot water, which is handy as my father-in-law drinks a lot of their stuff!

I leave mine to soak in a bowl of hot water with some mild fragrant free detergent....after half hr or so most will peel off easy enough, if not then I scrape off with butter knife.....i then soak for a further half hr so that glue dissolves....i then attack with some wire wool and rinse thoroughly
My way as well:thumb:

Some are really easy - Sharps for example peel off in one piece, their labels are like a plastic thing. Some are trickier, like Crabbies (had some sort of metallic welded on thing that wasn't coming off at all) or are a pain as the paper just shreds into little bits (like Marston's)

I agree with this. Newcastle Brown Ale labels come off really easily and thankfully my dad drinks loads of the stuff. :thumb:

Stick your own labels* over the top, life's too short!

1/8th of an A4 sheet, dip the back in milk.

The local here seems get through Reikordling (excuse the spelling) cider, the labels just need a few minutes soak then come right off. Blast in the dishwasher and ready to use :)

Back in the good old days, some bright spark at the Ministry of Silly Ideas developed a Tax Disc that looked very much like a Guinness beer bottle label ... :thumb: :thumb:

... and a lot of motorbike owners had no difficulty removing one with a bit of warm water! :whistle: :whistle:

Latest posts

Back