How to make a 99p sparging thingy!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyb

Regular.
Reaction score
I did my first AG on Monday (I took a day off and even got SWMBO’s approval - it was like Christmas day!! :D ).

I’ve read the Wheeler book, and looked into sparging etc, and it was the only thing that I was a bit nervous about.
Anyhow, I had this idea of creating a “fine spray” or perhaps a slow dribble by taking a new washing up bowl, and perforating it with some 1mm holes.
I picked up a washing up bowl from Dunelm for 99p, but anywhere will do – it fits snugly into the mash tun, and as it has sloping sides, I guess it will fit a variety of size cool boxes without impacting on top of the grainbed.
I did one and went a little mad, and reckoned it might be a little too “sieve like and be a bit fast”, so I bought another and put less holes in it.

d76e3ea7.jpg

I used this second “sparge” on Monday, as you can see, I’d put some of the runnings back in, but essentially I could leave the liquor running slowly into the sparge and adjust the outflow from the mash tun (the hop filter has a speedfit stopcock between the 15mm end and the 10mm end :thumb:)

Seemed to work quite well for my set up - as it's in the shed, and there isn't much space, and not having a boiler with a tap, hope reading this was of use for someone.

Here it is in action:

348c7949.jpg

And here’s the hop filter doubling as the feed from the HLT to the MT (the pushfit is to reduce from 15mm to 10mm - as I wanted to get some suction - my boiler doesn't have a tap):

90deeecc.jpg

And a close up:

0ff278d1.jpg

(That drilling looks like it was done after a few beers! :oops: :whistle: )

Note: I will improve the sparge by drilling a few holes towards the edges, so there is an even distribution of dribble, rather than all in the "middle" like it is currently.

Nice use of parallel thinking there. I use some BBQ foil trays for mine (the ones with lots of slots on the bottom cost me about 49p for 4), disposable but not as long lasting as your basin.

Well done that man, a cracking idea for sparging.

I suppose that after a bit of trial and error, you could get the ideal water flow by adding drilled holes.

This is why this forum is the one that beats them all. Members that come up with ideas like this.

Latest posts

Back