How to make a blow off tube.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I always use a blow off tube when using my FV as i have had a couple wines come through the airlock (see picture below) they are also useful if you only have a standard airlock and a vigorous fermentation keeps blowing the liquid out.

They are also much quieter than airlocks.

The how to bit -

Cut the bottom off an airlock then get a short piece of syphon tube and soften one end in boiling water, insert the airlock tube leaving enough sticking out to get a good seal in the FV grommet.

Pour enough water or steriliser into a container (i used a small vinegar bottle - see below) so the other end of the tube is just covered and that's it, you can now empty the container if it gets messy which is a lot easier than cleaning airlocks.

I used some blu-tac to seal the top (leaving a small hole) which keeps the end of the tube in place under the water and nasties out.

I saw this mentioned in another thread after i posted the how to above -

You can also use a standard syphon tube if you have one with a tap as the longer side of the tap is a tight fit in the grommet.

I have also seen people push the syphon tube over the inner part of a Wilko handy airlock.

My version
blow-off-tube-jpg.15785

1586605586355.png

Manxnortons blow off tube in action.

Attachments

• Blow off tube.jpg
    Blow off tube.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 5,855
Last edited:
My Range Make your own Rose wine decided to make a bid for freedom, i am so glad i use a blow off tube.

Half an hour after i took this picture the bubbles were at the top of the bottle but nothing was escaping and the beauty of the blow off is its easy to quickly rinse out and replace the bottle meaning no mess.

I started the kit less than 24 hours ago so maybe its still too warm in my kitchen for the heat pad, i have made this kit before and have had the occasional blow through but never this early or as vigorous a fermentation .

blow-off-tube-jpg.15785

Last edited:
Blow off tube...sorted!

img-20181001-wa0009-jpeg.15842

Attachments

• IMG-20181001-WA0009.jpeg
    IMG-20181001-WA0009.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 2,973
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one, I use one every time I use the FV for peace of mind and less noise (my FV is in the kitchen) but tend to leave more headspace in my DJ's than you have here as it doesn't really matter if you are not taking hydrometer readings as you can top up later.

I love the sound of a bloop blooping airlock it helps me sleep.I find with plastic fermeters the bubbles come in batches with the centre of the lid rising and falling.Not so soothing.
I really like this idea as i have often thought the standard airlock was fine for 1gal demijohns but not big enough to handle the output from a 5gal fermenter.
A bit of spry crisp n dry cooking oil will help with foam as it contains an anti foaming agent.

If you only put enough water in the container to cover the end of the tube foaming isn't really a problem, mine in the OP never made it out of the top plus you can easily empty it anytime.

Last edited:
I love the sound of a bloop blooping airlock it helps me sleep.I find with plastic fermeters the bubbles come in batches with the centre of the lid rising and falling.Not so soothing.
I really like this idea as i have often thought the standard airlock was fine for 1gal demijohns but not big enough to handle the output from a 5gal fermenter.
A bit of spry crisp n dry cooking oil will help with foam as it contains an anti foaming agent.
Could have been the co2 which helped you sleep, before I had my cool room set up I had 5 fermenters in the bedroom, sort of gave me a Russian roulette feeling as I drifted off to sleep wondering what the odds were of me waking up in the morning.

Hey. I’m a relatively new homebrewer and have just read this forum as found same problem with my 90 shilling brew...! (11ltrs in a 13ltr fermenter.)
Thanks Guys...👍🏼

Going to try this on tonight's effort, Youngs Harvest Pilsner, just waiting for temp to get below 25C before taking OG and adding the yeast(as per pack instructions). If I'd known about this before it might have saved me a lot of angst and cleaning up when my cab sav erupted last month (turned out ok though) Teach me to read through previous posts more diligently. All part of the learning curve

I have never had the need for a messy blow off tube. I always do primary fermentation in a bucket with a loose lid and plenty of headspace. I dont make beer but would have thought the principle is the same for both wine and beer, although im no expert lol - doesnt the brew need plenty of oxygen at the early stage anyway?

When fermentation quietens down, (usually about after 5 to 7 days) i just rack into DJ's with a regular airlock and have never had any issues. but to do primary in a restricted fermentation vessel seems like asking for trouble to me, but hey-ho. GL

Back