How to make a premium beer kit, from start to finish.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have allowed the beer to rest for a couple of days after fermentation has finished you will find a nice compact layer of sediment in the bottom of your fermenter, syphon the beer off of this into your keg or bottles leaving the sediment behind.
Don't worry if a little gets transfered across it will do no harm :thumb:

tubby_shaw said:
If you have allowed the beer to rest for a couple of days after fermentation has finished you will find a nice compact layer of sediment in the bottom of your fermenter, syphon the beer off of this into your keg or bottles leaving the sediment behind.
Don't worry if a little gets transfered across it will do no harm :thumb:

Many thanks...

thanks for the how to guide its very informative to a newbie like myself, does anyone have any suggestions for what kit to use as a first try and also, exactley equipment would I need to have to do this?

I would intend to brew lager, bitter, stout and ales so would like a complete kit to cover all needs

Many Thanks :wha:

An idiot proof list of essential equipment would probably be best for me :lol:

farmer giles said:
thanks for the how to guide its very informative to a newbie like myself, does anyone have any suggestions for what kit to use as a first try and also, exactley equipment would I need to have to do this?

I would intend to brew lager, bitter, stout and ales so would like a complete kit to cover all needs

Many Thanks :wha:

My advice would be to get yourself to a Wilkinson store and buy the Youngs starter kit and a Bag of beer kit enhancer, this should come in around the ,£30 mark.
Use the beer kit enhancer instead of the sugar the kit asks for this will get you going while you collect 40 pint bottles to mature it in :thumb:

Would I still need the fermentation vessel, syphon and the other various items???

tubby_shaw said:
My advice would be to get yourself to a Wilkinson store and buy the Youngs starter kit and a Bag of beer kit enhancer, this should come in around the ,£30 mark.
Use the beer kit enhancer instead of the sugar the kit asks for this will get you going while you collect 40 pint bottles to mature it in :thumb:

farmer giles said:
Would I still need the fermentation vessel, syphon and the other various items???

[quote="tubby_shaw":3k9xcmr0]My advice would be to get yourself to a Wilkinson store and buy the Youngs starter kit and a Bag of beer kit enhancer, this should come in around the ,£30 mark.
No it's a starter kit it comes with a FV, syphon, sanitiser etc.[/quote:3k9xcmr0]

Sorry to be a pain but I cant find the youngs starter kit on wilkinsonsplus, they have the wine kit but not the lager/beer kit, would the wine kit be ok to use for both wine and beers? :wha:

tubby_shaw said:
[quote="farmer giles":ylztfbv6]Would I still need the fermentation vessel, syphon and the other various items???

[quote="tubby_shaw":ylztfbv6]My advice would be to get yourself to a Wilkinson store and buy the Youngs starter kit and a Bag of beer kit enhancer, this should come in around the ,£30 mark.
No it's a starter kit it comes with a FV, syphon, sanitiser etc.[/quote:ylztfbv6][/quote:ylztfbv6]

I think thsi is what he means Brew buddy

If you're ordering online, any of the HB sites will have similar kits with everything you need to get started.

I simply buy that kit and follow the instructions then bottle it when needed to and after a few weeks bob ya uncle the, is it that easy???

I hope so, also any tips on making the beer/lager stronger than it should be, I prefer a nice premium beer/lager and would appreciate a few tips on how to do this.

Mr.Everready said:
I think thsi is what he means Brew buddy

If you're ordering online, any of the HB sites will have similar kits with everything you need to get started.

It does what it says on the box, just add sugar and water. To make it a bit stronger I think most people make it up with less water, maybe 20l instead of the 23l.

Thanks for your time will be giving that ago as soon as poss, does it work in the same way with wine, gotta keep the misses happy, well at least try to :lol:

Mr.Everready said:
It does what it says on the box, just add sugar and water. To make it a bit stronger I think most people make it up with less water, maybe 20l instead of the 23l.

The wine's even easier ! :party:

I recently done a Solomon Grundy Pinot Grigio 30 bottle kit, no added sugar or anything. Grape juice + water, cost £30ish. 2 weeks later 30 bottles of very drinkable wine @ £1 per bottle.

sounds like a plan to me :clap:

Mr.Everready said:
The wine's even easier ! :party:

I recently done a Solomon Grundy Pinot Grigio 30 bottle kit, no added sugar or anything. Grape juice + water, cost £30ish. 2 weeks later 30 bottles of very drinkable wine @ £1 per bottle.

How long do you leave your beer to condition before comsidering it ready to drink?

Usually I leave in a minimum of 4 weeks in bottles or a king keg. I believe you can cut that down to 2 weeks in a Cornie keg though :hmm:

Hi. I am currently fermenting my first kit. I haven't treated the tap-water. Could I ask a couple of questions.

1. what is a camden tablet? Where do I get them? Would I need them if I used cheap bottled supermarket water?
2. Is it okay to open and look into the fermenting bucket whenever I like?

Thanks for the how to. Easily the most useful information I have found so far!
Geoff.

Campden you can get from you local hombrew shop or online you can get it in tablet of powder form. As for checkimg your brew, nothing stoppng you I suppose, just make sure anything touching it is sterile etc...After your 1st brew you will do it less and less as you become familiar with the processes...

As jampot says, you can get CTs from any homebrew shop or online supplier, you can also get then from Wilkinson's. They are a convenient measured dose of sodium metabisulphite, which will get rid of any free chlorine or chloramines which your water company may have put into your supply.

The trouble is, you will have to buy a pot of 100 for around £2 and in brewing you will only be using half a tablet to treat 5 gallons of water, so that pot should last you a while.

Unless you use a forum like this one you won't even hear about water treatment, I seriously doubt that you would find any brew kit which mentions anything about water treatment in the instructions, so it's not strictly necessary.

If you're happy to drink your tap-water ‘neat’ then you probably don't need to pre-treat, it's just an added refinement.

If you use bottled water you don't need to treat for chlorine, but that doesn't necessarily mean that bottled water is better, it could be deficient in other things which might be beneficial.

And if you didn't want to take a peek at your first brew from time to time you wouldn't be normal, just try not to make too much of a habit of it.

Latest posts

Back