How to make a single coil wort chiller for just under £27

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyb

Regular.
Reaction score
I looked at the "How to" section for a wort chiller, and whilst I could have gone for a twin coil, I wasn't entirely sure my plumbing skills were upto the job in 10mm (although since I've improved considerably) - I made this about a month ago, and I could now quite confidently add a second coil.

I had some specific requirements,

• these were to be as cheap as possible,
    have a single length of pipe (no joins, no leaks),
    be able to connect the water input to a hosepipe fitting,
    not have any plastic fittings that would either melt or burn when hanging over the side of the boiler,

With that in mind, here's the list of things that I needed:

10M of 10mm microbore copper pipe - £2.18 /metre
(I found the best price was a local plumbers merchants - at least £8 cheaper than Wickes, Screwfix etc, there were some merchants on line at roughly the same price, but £6.50 delivery)

1x 15mm to 1/2 BSP compression fitting - £1.59
(Screwfix - Product Code: 69358)

1x 10mm to 15mm Reducing Coupler compression fitting - £1.99
(Screwfix - Product Code: 51238

About 50mm (or thereabouts) of 15mm copper pipe to join the two compression fittings together (I had this hanging about)

1x B&Q Threaded Tap Connector (Hozelock style hosepipe fitting) £1.00
(B&Q's own value range - the blue one as per the picture)

1x silicone tubing off cut (I had this hanging around) - this will slip on post boil (so it doesn't burn during the last 15 mins of the boil).

Cost:
Microbore: £21.80
Fittings: £4.58

Total: £26.38 (tightwad Yorkshire price).

I coiled the microbore around an old stainless bread tin, you could use a demi john, or similar.

A couple of spanners and a bit of tightening - here's the finished article.

It won't win any awards in the aesthetics department, I may need to figure out how to keep the coils supported and evenly spaced - but it will do the job.

290755_2321526875109_1157682153_2911620_3502647_o.jpg

288570_2321527235118_1157682153_2911621_2842413_o.jpg

There's a reason the input and output's are quite wide apart, I'll post another picture later, but it's because there's a hop strainer that fit's between them (and under it), the weight of the chiller keeping it on the bottom of the boiler.

E&OE :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I need to invest in some push fittings currently I am just using a gromit sort of thing to push a hose pipe on to... very mess but keeps the drips out of the boiler.

I think its off to the hardware shop to buy some compression fittings!

I was thinking about using some sort of cable ties for mine to hold the assembly together but I am fairly sure that they wont last 20 mins in boiling water / not food safe. Maybe some copper wire just to stop the whole thing springing around.

D

I just used 8mm copper tubing, bent it carefully at the ends and attached the in and out hoses using hose clamps:

IMAG0072.jpg

It doesn't look as pretty as some other people's but it does a bloody good job.

looks good....

every time i use my 8mm chiller to gets slightly closer to scrap! kinks, dents etc. It needs attention before the next brew or a reorder/full rebuild is needed. I would buy from the gent that builds them on this forum but my problem is that I am looking at buying a new boiler/copper... I may struggle on.

D

Reviving this old thread , have you seen the price of copper pipe recently ? Outrageous , really outrageous . For most uses HDPE plastic pipe would be fine but for this ? I cant see any alternative but copper ....is there ? Because I would really like to make one of these ....but the price ! Oh my life , already ! etc etc ,exit stage left , mumbling & wringing hands.......

I built mine less than 6 months ago and I found a small family-owned DIY shop that sold 8mm piping for £1 per meter. 10mm and abnove gets very expensive and is not needed IMO unless you need to chill large amounts.

I have been wondering about that , a lot of the old 8mm pipe was cupro nickel , we used to use it for lorry brake pipes . The micro bore copper hasnt been around that long and I was worrying that old stock flexible pipe might be the nickel stuff . I have a huge loading of toxic chenicals in my system and it doesnt take much to push me over the edge into poisoning , much less than most people . So I worry . I am getting quotes up to £65 for 10 meteres of 8 or 10mm , the best being about £3-50 plus shipping on offcuts . Metal markets always crazy late in the year , should calm down after christmas , with any luck , but I have been warned otherwise regarding copper .

Steve , I am not thinking of spending anything like that mate ! I spent half of yesterday trying to find where my old dad had hidden his spare microbore from when we did the heating at the farmhouse....no avail , he's way ahead of me :(

BUT ! I have foun d a bloke who repairs combi heaters . This is good , because I worked out that combi's use a FPHE (albeit without pipe connections) , so I have 3 coming from him .I just have to braze/solder pipe tails to them then voila ! Super budget flat plate wort chillers ! The spares I shall use on veg oil fuel landrovers . :thumb:

Of course , they will need a good , thorough cleaning out before use , but this is still in the developmental stage . :hmm:

The plate chillers we use are just heat exchangers exactly the same as are used in Combi boilers. If you can get one for free than that will be superb.

Steve , I got three for £25 delivered . Havent got them yet but I am told one has pipe connections which is very rare as most use a bolted on manifold and O rings instead . The one with the connections on is an obvious favourite but the feller I got them from says he has managed to both make manifold plates and solder in pipe tails to use them for other than the original use .

If you are interested I could PM you the blokes contact details ..? Or wait on , and I will do a thread about how it works out though it wont be anytime soon as I cant get much done these days and have a backlog .

Just got in from parcels depot , got my FPHEs , the one with the threaded stubs is a 12 plate a bit over 9" x 4" . I think I may try silver soldering some tails onto the others over the weekend . If and when I will do a thread with pics . If I can remember how to post pics , that is :wha:

Latest posts

Back