Quantcast

How to make a Solar Pump in a box

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

guyb

Regular.
Reaction score
I saw the thread for the Solar Pump and thought, I need one of those, to save me having to lift 25 litres of wort from the floor to the boiler on top of a kitchen unit - and the shed ceiling is not that high, so it's a struggle to tip the wort into the boiler..

So I decided to get a solar pump, and here's the result..

Here's my list of stuff:

1x Solar Pump - 3M head version; shop.solarproject.co.uk/sp2020-easy-connect-water-circulation-pump-£230-p-10.html
1x 1/2" BSP Hex Lock Nut 316 Stainless Steel 150LB - I had this hanging around - here;
2x Hosepipe quick disconnects - I used brass ones, but you can use the blue plastic ones from B&Q at £1ea;
2x ½” rubber washers - I had these in the toolbox from a bulkhead connector;
1x 2.1mm DC socket; here
1x Sealed Plastic Enclosure ABS Project box 115x90x55mm - here;
1x 12v power supply - from an old Black & Decker drill (sadly demised) you can always get one of these: here;

Here's the parts:

Hole cut out for the inlet and outlets:

A couple of rubber washers to allow the inlet to stand off the sidewall of the enclosure:

Sidewall drilled for the dc socket, and wires soldered onto the socket lugs:

DC socket inserted and screwed tight - the 1/2BSP steel threaded nut holds the motor tight:

Box lid screwed on, and hose connectors attached:

Testing it out in the shed:

Works a treat, takes longer than expected, probably about 4-5mins for 25Litres, but am happy with it:

Hope it was of use for someone. :grin:

BigYin

Regular.
Reaction score
won't be me correcting you - no idea about pumps! - just a gut reaction to seeing it in the box :lol:

I do like how neat it all looks :thumb:

guyb

Regular.
Reaction score
BigYin said:
won't be me correcting you - no idea about pumps! - just a gut reaction to seeing it in the box :lol:
To be fair when I had it all nicely screwed together, that thought popped into my head as well - I know virtually nowt about pumps too! :D

BigYin said:
I do like how neat it all looks :thumb:
Haha, great minds, I thought, if it overheats, it looks nice and tidy at least :grin: :grin:

guyb

Regular.
Reaction score
Out of interest, I sent the link for the "How to" to "Solar Projects" just for their interest, and here's their feedback:
Thanks Guy, it is always interesting to see the applications people have put these to. You have made a very neat job of it.
I saw the comments on the forum and can confirm that I definitely wouldn't expect any problem from heat build up, I have run these completely immersed in fast boiling water during testing.
Thanks again for the feedback,
Peter

Looks like no issue with heat build up :grin:

guyb

Regular.
Reaction score
tazuk said:
here is how i did mine but mine does 2 things best of both world here with mine :thumb:
1-power solar pump
or
2- yeast stir plate

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=32897
:grin: yeah I know I had a butchers at yours when I bought the pump, i'd already made a stir plate some time ago here

I found the enclosure when I was rooting for the psu, as I bought it originally to house the stir plate assembly but it was too small. :grin:

Did you get your fan? I might have a spare in a PC that is due to be scrapped.

tazuk

Landlord.
Reaction score
lol yes its ip67 :D so its on outside :D :thumb:

guyb said:
tazuk said:
here is how i did mine but mine does 2 things best of both world here with mine :thumb:
1-power solar pump
or
2- yeast stir plate

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=32897
:grin: yeah I know I had a butchers at yours when I bought the pump, i'd already made a stir plate some time ago here

I found the enclosure when I was rooting for the psu, as I bought it originally to house the stir plate assembly but it was too small. :grin:

Did you get your fan? I might have a spare in a PC that is due to be scrapped.

Wendy1971

Regular.
Reaction score
are you using the pump for just pumping liquids or are you going to use it for herms?. If you do end up using for herms you may need a bypass valve :thumb:

piddledribble

Landlord.
Reaction score
A very nice and helpful How to.
and what I like is the way you have provided source links for each piece of equipment. Very thoughtful for us with little knowledge.

tazuk

Landlord.
Reaction score
who me if me no that is why i use a dimmer control my pump speed :thumb:

Wendy1971 said:
are you using the pump for just pumping liquids or are you going to use it for herms?. If you do end up using for herms you may need a bypass valve :thumb:

loady

Regular.
Reaction score
nice job, i have one of those pumps, not sure if 2m head is going to be enough, i am curious as to how your pumping from the floor into the barrel above, you seem to be pumping it into the tap/outlet, doesnt the head pressure impede the pump as it fills the fermenter ??, i was thinking i was going to have to fit tank connectors to the upper part of my barrels as inlets.

guyb

Regular.
Reaction score
Apols, didn't realise you'd asked a question.
Didn't notice any issues, and have been using the pump for a while now.

I use the hozelock style fittings for all my connections, incl on my boiler, jg speedfit to 1/2" bsp to hozelock. All works a treat

Intelekt

Regular.
Reaction score
This has really tweaked my fancy :clap:

I so want to build this :thumb:

Is there any way of adding a variable speed controller to this box?
I am good at making stuff just not coming up with the plans :wha:

Also as this is an older thread, what's the best pump and place to get it from now?

Thanks

Good Ed

Landlord.
Reaction score
you can get a variable voltage transformer from Asda which does the trick for me, settings are 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 & 12V. I never use more than 3 or 4.5V

Intelekt

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm having trouble locating the ½ inch lock nut thingy :doh:

Couldn't find one in B&Q

Where can I get one from and what are they called?

Many thanks

guyb

Regular.
Reaction score
Intelekt said:
Also as this is an older thread, what's the best pump and place to get it from now?

Thanks
The original supplier I got mine from is still going strong, I had a stuck impeller, and I rang them, and offered to replace it on the spot, anyhow, ran some boiling water through, and it was fine. Good service and quick delivery.