How to make a Solar Pump in a box

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyb

Regular.
Reaction score
I saw the thread for the Solar Pump and thought, I need one of those, to save me having to lift 25 litres of wort from the floor to the boiler on top of a kitchen unit - and the shed ceiling is not that high, so it's a struggle to tip the wort into the boiler..

So I decided to get a solar pump, and here's the result..

Here's my list of stuff:

1x Solar Pump - 3M head version; shop.solarproject.co.uk/sp2020-easy-connect-water-circulation-pump-£230-p-10.html
1x 1/2" BSP Hex Lock Nut 316 Stainless Steel 150LB - I had this hanging around - here;
2x Hosepipe quick disconnects - I used brass ones, but you can use the blue plastic ones from B&Q at £1ea;
2x ½” rubber washers - I had these in the toolbox from a bulkhead connector;
1x 2.1mm DC socket; here
1x Sealed Plastic Enclosure ABS Project box 115x90x55mm - here;
1x 12v power supply - from an old Black & Decker drill (sadly demised) you can always get one of these: here;

Here's the parts:
IMG_0351_zps77f1bc01.jpg

Hole cut out for the inlet and outlets:
IMG_0352_zps2e7e24f0.jpg

A couple of rubber washers to allow the inlet to stand off the sidewall of the enclosure:
IMG_0353_zpse78e2849.jpg

Sidewall drilled for the dc socket, and wires soldered onto the socket lugs:
IMG_0354_zpsc0ad056b.jpg

DC socket inserted and screwed tight - the 1/2BSP steel threaded nut holds the motor tight:
IMG_0355_zps1ec48f22.jpg

Box lid screwed on, and hose connectors attached:
IMG_0356_zps5b7420cc.jpg

Testing it out in the shed:
IMG_0358_zps590b3262.jpg

Works a treat, takes longer than expected, probably about 4-5mins for 25Litres, but am happy with it:
IMG_0359_zps5e845fa7.jpg

Hope it was of use for someone. :grin:

won't be me correcting you - no idea about pumps! - just a gut reaction to seeing it in the box :lol:

I do like how neat it all looks :thumb:

BigYin said:
won't be me correcting you - no idea about pumps! - just a gut reaction to seeing it in the box :lol:

To be fair when I had it all nicely screwed together, that thought popped into my head as well - I know virtually nowt about pumps too! :D

BigYin said:
I do like how neat it all looks :thumb:
Haha, great minds, I thought, if it overheats, it looks nice and tidy at least :grin: :grin:

Out of interest, I sent the link for the "How to" to "Solar Projects" just for their interest, and here's their feedback:
Thanks Guy, it is always interesting to see the applications people have put these to. You have made a very neat job of it.
I saw the comments on the forum and can confirm that I definitely wouldn't expect any problem from heat build up, I have run these completely immersed in fast boiling water during testing.
Thanks again for the feedback,
Peter

Looks like no issue with heat build up :grin:

tazuk said:
here is how i did mine but mine does 2 things best of both world here with mine :thumb:
1-power solar pump
or
2- yeast stir plate

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=32897

:grin: yeah I know I had a butchers at yours when I bought the pump, i'd already made a stir plate some time ago here

I found the enclosure when I was rooting for the psu, as I bought it originally to house the stir plate assembly but it was too small. :grin:

Did you get your fan? I might have a spare in a PC that is due to be scrapped.

lol yes its ip67 :D so its on outside :D :thumb:

guyb said:
tazuk said:
here is how i did mine but mine does 2 things best of both world here with mine :thumb:
1-power solar pump
or
2- yeast stir plate

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=32897

:grin: yeah I know I had a butchers at yours when I bought the pump, i'd already made a stir plate some time ago here

I found the enclosure when I was rooting for the psu, as I bought it originally to house the stir plate assembly but it was too small. :grin:

Did you get your fan? I might have a spare in a PC that is due to be scrapped.

A very nice and helpful How to.
and what I like is the way you have provided source links for each piece of equipment. Very thoughtful for us with little knowledge.

who me if me no that is why i use a dimmer control my pump speed :thumb:

Wendy1971 said:
are you using the pump for just pumping liquids or are you going to use it for herms?. If you do end up using for herms you may need a bypass valve :thumb:

nice job, i have one of those pumps, not sure if 2m head is going to be enough, i am curious as to how your pumping from the floor into the barrel above, you seem to be pumping it into the tap/outlet, doesnt the head pressure impede the pump as it fills the fermenter ??, i was thinking i was going to have to fit tank connectors to the upper part of my barrels as inlets.

Apols, didn't realise you'd asked a question.
Didn't notice any issues, and have been using the pump for a while now.

I use the hozelock style fittings for all my connections, incl on my boiler, jg speedfit to 1/2" bsp to hozelock. All works a treat

This has really tweaked my fancy :clap:

I so want to build this :thumb:

Is there any way of adding a variable speed controller to this box?
I am good at making stuff just not coming up with the plans :wha:

Also as this is an older thread, what's the best pump and place to get it from now?

Thanks

you can get a variable voltage transformer from Asda which does the trick for me, settings are 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 & 12V. I never use more than 3 or 4.5V

I'm having trouble locating the ½ inch lock nut thingy :doh:

Couldn't find one in B&Q

Where can I get one from and what are they called?

Many thanks

Intelekt said:
Also as this is an older thread, what's the best pump and place to get it from now?

Thanks

The original supplier I got mine from is still going strong, I had a stuck impeller, and I rang them, and offered to replace it on the spot, anyhow, ran some boiling water through, and it was fine. Good service and quick delivery.

Back