How to make Turbo Cider.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the information Chippy_Tea and for the article, at the moment this is fermenting mightily once it comes to a halt I will taste it and try to salvage it. Given that the apple juice cost me 10 Euros and the cranberry juice 2 euros, I think I can afford to lose 12 euros and then try again.

Cheers

Billy

Hi Chippy_Tea,

So my cider has now finished fermenting and my final gravity is 0.997 giving my approximately 7% ABV. As I usually do, I tasted the stuff I extracted for the hydrometer reading and I was pleasantly surprised, it tastes reasonable, slightly on the tart side but not overly so. I plan to add a little artificial sweetener and then to bottle it. At the moment it is very cloudy. In beer you can add finings such as gelatine or isinglass to aid clearing. Can you tell me, can such finings be added to cider and do you add them in the fermenter prior to bottling?

Cheers

Billy

At the moment it is very cloudy. In beer you can add finings such as gelatine or isinglass to aid clearing. Can you tell me, can such finings be added to cider and do you add them in the fermenter prior to bottling?

I always use finings when making supermarket juice wines but i don't make cider so am not sure cannot answer, i am sure members will let you know ASAP.

I always use finings when making supermarket juice wines but i don't make cider so am not sure cannot answer, i am sure members will let you know ASAP.
Thanks Chippy_Tea.

I have done other research and the general feeling is that cider from juice doesn’t need finings as it will fairly quickly clear naturally, so I will give that a go.

Cheers mate,

Billy

OK, stocks of our autumn hedgerow cider (which turned out well) are running down so I'm trying TC.
21 litres Lidl AJ (£11.62)
1 litre tea (5 tea bags)
1 kg gran sugar dissolved in 2 litres water
2 tsp Pectolase
3 tsp Young's yeast nutrient
24 litres in FV with OG 1.060
Mango Jack's cider yeast sprinkled on top.
FV has plumber's heat tape wrapped around it set to 20*C using Stinkbird (and an old fleece jacket over the top held on with a bungee). Fingers crossed it works OK as the 'brewshed' is cold. The house isn't much warmer... 🙁

Interested to try TC given some of the rave reviews expressed.

Some questions....

In the interest of saving the planet (or just being cheap!) I have some 5L water bottles left over from my latest brew, could I use one with an airlock as an FV and then another for storage of still cider once fermentation is completed?

Also my current brew is using a Saison yeast. If I scraped some trub out after finishing my current ale brew, would that be a suitable source of yeast (and would it taste alright) to ferment TC? If so, what sort of quantum of trub would work for 5L (after rinsing that is)?

Thanks!

Last edited:
In the interest of saving the planet (or just being cheap!) I have some 5L water bottles left over from my latest brew, could I use one with an airlock as an FV and then another for storage of still cider once fermentation is completed?

No problem at all.

Also my current brew is using a Saison yeast. If I scraped some trub out after finishing my current ale brew, would that be a suitable source of yeast (and would it taste alright) to ferment TC? If so, what sort of quantum of trub would work for 5L (after rinsing that is)?

I would get some wine yeast for the price it costs its not worth risking it turning out bad if using the trub.

No problem at all.

Brill, thanks....

I would get some wine yeast for the price it costs its not worth risking it turning out bad if using the trub.

Where’s your sense of adventure?! 😜 No, point taken- yeast and pectolase ordered, so will be dipping into this murky world by the weekend all being well!
Thanks Chippy

Interested to try TC given some of the rave reviews expressed.

Some questions....

Thanks!
Mine has turned out well. I put the 23L of completed TC into a bottling bucket and added 3L apple juice and a solution with 140g dextrose (for a bit of a zing) before bottling. We are drinking it now - it's excellent!

Craig.
I have made several Turbo Ciders in DJ's and I use 4 litres of Apple juice or a combination of other juices if I am making a mixed fruit cider. So it would be 3 litres of apple juice and say 1 litre of other juice. Then add 1 cup of tea for the tannin (3 teabags) having allowed it to cool slightly. 1/2 packet of cider yeast ( I use the sweetened one as recommended by Roddy). 1 tsp. yeast nutrient, 1 tsp. pectolase.
Only fill up to the shoulder of the DJ as they are not all the same size, so adjust slightly with volume if it is only a 1 gallon one. After fermentation has finished, rack to another DJ and top up with apple juice.
I then bottle my TC and use 1 level teaspoon of white sugar per 500ml bottle. Always works for me, but as always, others will have different opinions.

I hope this helps.
What's the abv on that please

What's the abv on that please
The last one i did was actually really nice, i used apple juice and red grape juice and added some blackcurrant juice to the Dj when it had finished fermentation. I guess its all an experiment to find the end result that works. Thanks for your post danmac.

I want to make some of this, but I'm confused so need to ask a question.

Do you need to de-gas before you prime so you can get the foul smelling gases out, or do you not bother? Seems weird not doing so?

Just bought some AJ from Aldi, tested the OG and it's about 1046. Gonna buy a load more and dump it on my slurry next time I rack. Love an experiment.

24L batch done, mostly Aldi apple juice but also added a couple of litres of their pineapple, and orange juices.
Also brewed up some ginger too, that way the drink will be medicinal :D

Haven't put the heat on yet as I don't know how vigorous it'll brew, since I'm using the slurry from a kit I've just bottled it should go off like a rocket.

I want to make some of this, but I'm confused so need to ask a question.

Do you need to de-gas before you prime so you can get the foul smelling gases out, or do you not bother? Seems weird not doing so?

I don't think you need to de-gas as the object of priming is to create more co2 to carbonate it, there shouldn't be any other gasses :)

Having a go at this myself, tried some of Aldi's latest, gooseberry & elderflower cider (v.nice). Fancied (at least) trying to get something vaguely similar :

5 litres of apple juice, 1/4 cup of black tea, nutrient & 1/2 packet of CML cider yeast.
Then put just under 10grams of dried elderflowers in a muslin cloth and a drained tin of gooseberries (couldn't find fresh/frozen). I then went at the tied cloth with a tater masher and gave it plently.

I have my doubts about the dried flowers, don't seem to be much flavour with 'em (made an experimental tea beforehand), also I'm unsure as to how many gooseberries are actually needed. But it's an experiment :)

Having a go at this myself, tried some of Aldi's latest, gooseberry & elderflower cider (v.nice). Fancied (at least) trying to get something vaguely similar :

5 litres of apple juice, 1/4 cup of black tea, nutrient & 1/2 packet of CML cider yeast.
Then put just under 10grams of dried elderflowers in a muslin cloth and a drained tin of gooseberries (couldn't find fresh/frozen). I then went at the tied cloth with a tater masher and gave it plently.

I have my doubts about the dried flowers, don't seem to be much flavour with 'em (made an experimental tea beforehand), also I'm unsure as to how many gooseberries are actually needed. But it's an experiment :)
Have you done this in a 5 litre demijohn?

Just tested the 24L batch, it's done. Gonna leave to cool for a week. It's very bitter and very dry. Not sure if there is a hint of vinegar so I don't know if I have screwed it or if that is just the bitterness that will fade. I guess in a week it will either taste more or less of vinegar. Either it'll get drunk or used as weed killer.

It's more vinegary than last week. On the plus side I put some in a spray bottle and my sprayed my trouser legs and trainers and it stopped my dog wanting to bite them. So I guess I now have a massive batch of something the dog dislikes, which is handy.

Latest posts

Back