Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Scottyburto

Regular.
Reaction score
That picture would be my wife's worst nightmare! Think I'd end up divorced! Lol

Darenn

Reaction score
View attachment 27216
Varying stages of turbo, some with honey others with Demerara or muscavado sugar to pep them up a bit. Also my first batch finally bottled, one tap granulated added to each bottle.
Looking forward to see how the different sugars influence the taste. Please keep us updated 🙏

Shirley Bassett

Reaction score
Vassili,

I find that honey brings a far nicer taste to TC. I’ll be interested to hear what you think when you complete your trial.

One other addition to a honey based TC that’s worth a try is, a 410g tin of pears that have been liquidised in a food processor.

If you do try this one then only make about 4 litres in the first instance and wait until the most vigorous part of the fermentation has passed, and then top it up with AJ. If you don’t it will come through the airlock.

vassili

Reaction score
Vassili,

I find that honey brings a far nicer taste to TC. I’ll be interested to hear what you think when you complete your trial.

One other addition to a honey based TC that’s worth a try is, a 410g tin of pears that have been liquidised in a food processor.

If you do try this one then only make about 4 litres in the first instance and wait until the most vigorous part of the fermentation has passed, and then top it up with AJ. If you don’t it will come through the airlock.
Interesting! I like the sound of that.

vassili

Reaction score
Here's Shirley bassets Idea.
There's going to be a huge amount of sludge at the end of this one :laugh8:
Used some of this year's runny honey
IMG_20200611_111929.jpg

StormUK

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My latest batch of TC has just finished fermenting, I added a little extra sugar at the start lol. I've taken its FG and I believe it is around 8.8%abv, I think this batch may qualify as Twin Turbo Cider 🤣😂🤣😂

BarryWineMurse

Reaction score
My latest batch of TC has just finished fermenting, I added a little extra sugar at the start lol. I've taken its FG and I believe it is around 8.8%abv, I think this batch may qualify as Twin Turbo Cider 🤣😂🤣😂
How much extra sugar I want to take it up to mid 6 range which is my prefered drinking strength for cider?

StormUK

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a read of this post

May help

Darenn

Reaction score
How much extra sugar I want to take it up to mid 6 range which is my prefered drinking strength for cider?
I made a cider using Lidl apple juice. 15 litres of juice, topped up to 21 litres with water. No added sugar. From memory was around 6-6.5%

Darenn

Reaction score
You can use this calculator to estimate the ABV based on the sugar content (add all of the sugar in your juice and any additional sugar added)

vassili

Reaction score
Evening all.
Well I have bottled my first batch which was fortified with 100 grams of Demerara to a demijohn.
I am drinking it way too young, but I still completely blown away by the quality, taste and body of this. I produce at least a couple of hundred gallons of real scrumpy from our own orchards each year, but still decided to try this. Yesterday I started my sixth batch of this as I am so impressed.
I honestly wonder why I go through do much agro looking after trees etc when I could just do this.

vassili

Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to mention that the weirdest thing is that turbo made in this fashion has by far the most distinct flavour of apple of all the ciders I've ever made.

Scottyburto

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all

I've finally had a go at this turbo cider business. I'm not a big cider drinker but don't mind odd one when it's cracking the flags!

Anyway I threw it together on 10th and it's been hanging around 1.002-1.000 for a couple of days. It seemed to stall at 1.008 so I added some yeast nutrient and its stopped again.

So the question is what's the harm in me bottling it now with only 2.5g sugar per 500ml and some yeast nutrient?

Darenn

Reaction score
Hi all

I've finally had a go at this turbo cider business. I'm not a big cider drinker but don't mind odd one when it's cracking the flags!

Anyway I threw it together on 10th and it's been hanging around 1.002-1.000 for a couple of days. It seemed to stall at 1.008 so I added some yeast nutrient and its stopped again.

So the question is what's the harm in me bottling it now with only 2.5g sugar per 500ml and some yeast nutrient?
It's ready for bottling at that SG. I've never used yeast nutrient for carbonation - my last batch was ready in 3 days 😬

WrexTheDragon

Reaction score
I have been using the 1l cartons of Cloudy Apple Juice (non concentrate) that my local Lidl sell for £0.99 a carton with excellent results.
I noticed today they have family pack 1.5l Apple Juice (from concentrate) for £0.83. Both have no preservatives except for ascorbic acid. Bought some of these to give them a go. Same sugar content, so will be looking at 7.2% alcohol. After this I may try blending the two.

Scottyburto

Regular.
Reaction score
I tried one of mine the other night, I only bottled it on 25/6 so it wasn't overly fizzy but it did have a Thatcher gold flavour which I'm really happy with its just missing alittle sharpness. I didn't add any additional acid or sugar so I'm not sure if that's why?

I used 4 Sainsbury's Aj and 8 Asda AJ for 15l total and I think this blend has given the flavour. As far as I can tell the Sainos AJs are red apple juice and Asda green apple.

Will definitely make again and experiment.