How to make Turbo Cider.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's more vinegary than last week. On the plus side I put some in a spray bottle and my sprayed my trouser legs and trainers and it stopped my dog wanting to bite them. So I guess I now have a massive batch of something the dog dislikes, which is handy.
You could try adding some sugar and see if that works

It's more vinegary than last week.

More vinegary or more acidic? It might taste more acidic because the sugar concentration is lower and the acid is malic acid rather than acetic acid. Malolactic fermentation eventually converts malic acid into the less tart lactic acid.

I'd suggest sweetener. If it's bone dry you notice the other flavours more.

There was an article on the BBC the other week about a top winemaker moaning that cheaper producers are using sugar and sweeteners to mask **** wine.

You could try adding some sugar and see if that works
More vinegary or more acidic? It might taste more acidic because the sugar concentration is lower and the acid is malic acid rather than acetic acid. Malolactic fermentation eventually converts malic acid into the less tart lactic acid.

Thanks for the suggestions but in the end I used it to clean the drains. I'll get some demi johns for small scale experiments in future.

If I wanted a sweeter cider, and wanted to use artificial sweetener, when would I put it in and how much of it please?

Also would you de-gas a little before you prime to get rid of the carbon dioxide smell / taste? This is something that's always confused me - adding more gas to a smelly brew lol. Please put me straight!

Cider is something I haven't tried yet but really want to get right!

Last edited:
Pleasantly surprised with this turbo cider. I bottled up a couple days ago and had one PET bottle that was a quarter full or so.

Put them all in a dark place, intending to check in a couple of weeks - still a bit cloudy, but that doesn't bother me at all. Willpower finally cracked with the 1/4 full one today, nice bit of carbonation. Can't taste elderflower, I suspected that might be the case, the gooseberry - I think is there, it's a bit of extra tartness.

All in all, nice. Going to try another batch, just plain apple juice I think - I've got some malic acid as well.

I started this two weeks ago, 22 Ltr I let it brew for 8 days and then tuned of the heat to let it clear for a couple of days. I then siphoned it out of the bucket and into another bucket to add the apple juice for the secondary fermentation. I noticed there was very little spent yeast in the bottom of bucket and it did taste a bit sweet. so measured the SG and it was 1006. Put the bucket back on the heat to try and save it, but there are no bubbles or any sign of fermentation.

Is it all lost? I have got some more of the cider yeast, will adding another sachet of that help? If so, just sprinkle on top?

Thank you

I started this two weeks ago, 22 Ltr I let it brew for 8 days and then tuned of the heat to let it clear for a couple of days. I then siphoned it out of the bucket and into another bucket to add the apple juice for the secondary fermentation. I noticed there was very little spent yeast in the bottom of bucket and it did taste a bit sweet. so measured the SG and it was 1006. Put the bucket back on the heat to try and save it, but there are no bubbles or any sign of fermentation.

Is it all lost? I have got some more of the cider yeast, will adding another sachet of that help? If so, just sprinkle on top?

Thank you

It's not lost.
It sounds like a slightly sweet cider.
Did you take an initial gravity reading to work out the abv ?

I don't bother with the readings, I just let it ferment out same as wine, if its too dry I just add a little sugar when drinking.

Sounds like you haven't let it ferment out so have a less % sweeter cider.

You could start it again with another yeast,
When you say "heat" how warm did you have it/what temperature ?

Made a batch from apple juice and it kept bubbling for over two weeks even though it was looking distinctly clear. Gravity appeared to be bang on 1.000 so I bottled it, priming with more apple juice. Remains to be seen whether there was enough yeast remaining for bottle conditioning or whether it will end up still.

Can I just add the new yeast as normal or is there some precautions I should take?

You could add yeast but if it's got alcohol you could bottle it.
If there's not much sugar left do you want a drier brew ?
It could be 4% and depends on taste.
I've left some wow cider for months and they've really aged well.
Drinking a raspberry one tonight and its very nice.

I'm no expert but let them ferment out and patience to age.

Trust me RB there will be enough yeast carried over to get it going.

As of today (one week from bottling) there is definite fizz and fresh sediment in the bottles. Which leads us to the BIG question: Should it be this hard and swollen? (fnarr fnarr).

Is there any way of knowing when is "enough" conditioning? Hopefully the bottles I've used will stand another week in the warm (Online Food Shopping | Grocery Delivery | ASDA Groceries) or should I perhaps take it that as they have pressure in them it's time to relocate somewhere colder now?

It sounds as though you've done everything right. You've got carbonation. I'd put it in the shed and let it continue with secondary fermentation for a few weeks until the weather is fine and it's ready to drink!

Back