How to make Turbo Cider.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20200607_150313.jpg

Varying stages of turbo, some with honey others with Demerara or muscavado sugar to pep them up a bit. Also my first batch finally bottled, one tap granulated added to each bottle.

Vassili,

I find that honey brings a far nicer taste to TC. I’ll be interested to hear what you think when you complete your trial.

One other addition to a honey based TC that’s worth a try is, a 410g tin of pears that have been liquidised in a food processor.

If you do try this one then only make about 4 litres in the first instance and wait until the most vigorous part of the fermentation has passed, and then top it up with AJ. If you don’t it will come through the airlock.

Vassili,

I find that honey brings a far nicer taste to TC. I’ll be interested to hear what you think when you complete your trial.

One other addition to a honey based TC that’s worth a try is, a 410g tin of pears that have been liquidised in a food processor.

If you do try this one then only make about 4 litres in the first instance and wait until the most vigorous part of the fermentation has passed, and then top it up with AJ. If you don’t it will come through the airlock.
Interesting! I like the sound of that.

My latest batch of TC has just finished fermenting, I added a little extra sugar at the start lol. I've taken its FG and I believe it is around 8.8%abv, I think this batch may qualify as Twin Turbo Cider 🤣😂🤣😂

My latest batch of TC has just finished fermenting, I added a little extra sugar at the start lol. I've taken its FG and I believe it is around 8.8%abv, I think this batch may qualify as Twin Turbo Cider 🤣😂🤣😂
How much extra sugar I want to take it up to mid 6 range which is my prefered drinking strength for cider?

How much extra sugar I want to take it up to mid 6 range which is my prefered drinking strength for cider?
I made a cider using Lidl apple juice. 15 litres of juice, topped up to 21 litres with water. No added sugar. From memory was around 6-6.5%

Evening all.
Well I have bottled my first batch which was fortified with 100 grams of Demerara to a demijohn.
I am drinking it way too young, but I still completely blown away by the quality, taste and body of this. I produce at least a couple of hundred gallons of real scrumpy from our own orchards each year, but still decided to try this. Yesterday I started my sixth batch of this as I am so impressed.
I honestly wonder why I go through do much agro looking after trees etc when I could just do this.

Hi all

I've finally had a go at this turbo cider business. I'm not a big cider drinker but don't mind odd one when it's cracking the flags!

Anyway I threw it together on 10th and it's been hanging around 1.002-1.000 for a couple of days. It seemed to stall at 1.008 so I added some yeast nutrient and its stopped again.

So the question is what's the harm in me bottling it now with only 2.5g sugar per 500ml and some yeast nutrient?

Hi all

I've finally had a go at this turbo cider business. I'm not a big cider drinker but don't mind odd one when it's cracking the flags!

Anyway I threw it together on 10th and it's been hanging around 1.002-1.000 for a couple of days. It seemed to stall at 1.008 so I added some yeast nutrient and its stopped again.

So the question is what's the harm in me bottling it now with only 2.5g sugar per 500ml and some yeast nutrient?
It's ready for bottling at that SG. I've never used yeast nutrient for carbonation - my last batch was ready in 3 days 😬

I have been using the 1l cartons of Cloudy Apple Juice (non concentrate) that my local Lidl sell for £0.99 a carton with excellent results.
I noticed today they have family pack 1.5l Apple Juice (from concentrate) for £0.83. Both have no preservatives except for ascorbic acid. Bought some of these to give them a go. Same sugar content, so will be looking at 7.2% alcohol. After this I may try blending the two.

I tried one of mine the other night, I only bottled it on 25/6 so it wasn't overly fizzy but it did have a Thatcher gold flavour which I'm really happy with its just missing alittle sharpness. I didn't add any additional acid or sugar so I'm not sure if that's why?

I used 4 Sainsbury's Aj and 8 Asda AJ for 15l total and I think this blend has given the flavour. As far as I can tell the Sainos AJs are red apple juice and Asda green apple.

Will definitely make again and experiment.

Latest posts

Back