How to make Turbo Cider.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I’m going to try my hand at this TC lark for the first time in a couple of weeks. I’m normally all about the AG beer, but lockdown seems to have had the curious side effect that I am now consuming beer faster than I can brew it (I’m blaming garden visitors though)! Out of three serving kegs as of last night I now only have about a pint of Belgian on and drastic times call for drastic measures.
As soon as the FV is clear of Summer Lightning (yeast has been dragging its feet) I’m proposing a super fast 1 week Kviek Cascade SMaSH then jump in with both feet with my first TC.
I’ll be following the original recipe closely but using yeast without sweetener, if required I’ll back sweeten with stevia (Truvia), and brewing a 19l batch (which I need to scale down) to go into a corny keg and force carbonate.
I have a packet of CML Cider yeast and 30g of Pectolase in the post now, does anybody have any experience what effect fermentation temperature has on this yeast?
Looking forward to trying this new venture!

First ever TC is nearly fermented out. Currently at 1.002 so I guess it's probably done or thereabouts. It tastes like cider but serious acidity going on which I intend to backsweten before force carbing in a keg.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much sweetener to use. I dont want it really sweet, just middle of the road, it's a 5 litre batch. I just dont want to get it wildly wrong but equally have zero clue what is a reasonable amount.

I'm interested to know this too. If I need to back sweeten I'll probably take a few exact volume samples and add precise weights of my chosen sweetener and scale up whichever tastes best to me. Would be interesting to see other's results to idiot-check my results though!

I put just under one of these (about 60g) in to my 25l PB for a TC and that works for me but they finish about 0.994 so quite dry:

1596824205093.png

I put just under one of these (about 60g) in to my 25l PB for a TC and that works for me but they finish about 0.994 so quite dry:

View attachment 30580
Ok so for my five litre batch maybe a ball park figure would be 10 grams of sweetener. I didnt know if we were talking a couple of spoons or a couple of jars so that's helpful cheers

Just sampling a Turbo Cider made on August 1st using the recipe of the OP with a few Blackberries and it's turned out pretty nice :beer1:Very clear, dry, sharp with a nice rose colour, went well with some pan fried mackeral fillets last night.

10 litres​
Aldi apple juice 100% from concentrate​
300g​
Blackberries​
0.5 litre​
Tea from 3 bags​
1.5 litres​
Water​

Poured apple juice at room temp into FV
Added stewed tea with 2.5 tsp pectolase
Topped up with tap water to 12L
Rehydrated Youngs cider dry yeast Bayanus 5g @ 22C and stirred after 10 minutes
Added whole defrosted bramble berries
Lid on with airlock
01/08/20 Start OG 1040
14/08/20 Finish FG 1000 ABV 5.2%
14/08/20 Racked into bottling bucket, batch primed with 160g of sugar and bottled

I've got some of the yeast with added sweetner for the next batch.

Well worth giving it a go if you like cider.

I used a cloudy apple and pear juice for a TC. I think the Par pure has coagulated on the surface. It's a big layer of sludgy looking mess. My question is, what should I do now?

I used a cloudy apple and pear juice for a TC. I think the Par pure has coagulated on the surface. It's a big layer of sludgy looking mess. My question is, what should I do now?
Carefully siphon off from below the surface "sludge"in to another vessel till the ferment has finished.

Carefully siphon off from below the surface "sludge"in to another vessel till the ferment has finished.
Ok. Thought that maybe the case
Dont see any way to get it in suspension and stay there. It split out pretty rapidly.

Yes, I think one cup of strong (1 bag) tea should do for a DJ
Hello there, just looking for a decent home made cider recipe and this one looks ok, my only issue is having read this thread and saying divide everything by 5, im sure by doing this it wont all fit in the demi john or a i being numb?
Thanks in advance
Craig

Craig.
I have made several Turbo Ciders in DJ's and I use 4 litres of Apple juice or a combination of other juices if I am making a mixed fruit cider. So it would be 3 litres of apple juice and say 1 litre of other juice. Then add 1 cup of tea for the tannin (3 teabags) having allowed it to cool slightly. 1/2 packet of cider yeast ( I use the sweetened one as recommended by Roddy). 1 tsp. yeast nutrient, 1 tsp. pectolase.
Only fill up to the shoulder of the DJ as they are not all the same size, so adjust slightly with volume if it is only a 1 gallon one. After fermentation has finished, rack to another DJ and top up with apple juice.
I then bottle my TC and use 1 level teaspoon of white sugar per 500ml bottle. Always works for me, but as always, others will have different opinions.

I hope this helps.

had the original recipe in my notes for a while but have only, up until now, been doing wines.
think it's time to give the TC a go. probably aiming for 6-6.5% and cloudy.
thanks to all for their input throughout the thread.

Nothing wrong with that but I like to go a little higher 8.5 - 9%. I guess that's just the wine drinker in me, less is more (by volume).

I went a bit mad with sugar on my first ones. 😮😁
Halved or less on the next.

Watched a youtube video today where the Scottish bloke, using crossmyloof yeast didn't add sugar and reckoned on an abv of 4%

Craig.
I have made several Turbo Ciders in DJ's and I use 4 litres of Apple juice or a combination of other juices if I am making a mixed fruit cider. So it would be 3 litres of apple juice and say 1 litre of other juice. Then add 1 cup of tea for the tannin (3 teabags) having allowed it to cool slightly. 1/2 packet of cider yeast ( I use the sweetened one as recommended by Roddy). 1 tsp. yeast nutrient, 1 tsp. pectolase.
Only fill up to the shoulder of the DJ as they are not all the same size, so adjust slightly with volume if it is only a 1 gallon one. After fermentation has finished, rack to another DJ and top up with apple juice.
I then bottle my TC and use 1 level teaspoon of white sugar per 500ml bottle. Always works for me, but as always, others will have different opinions.

I hope this helps.
Thats really helpful Barney, very much appreciated. Just 1 question though, when you say 1/2 packet of yeast what is that exaclty. tad confused?
Thanks again

Thats really helpful Barney, very much appreciated. Just 1 question though, when you say 1/2 packet of yeast what is that exaclty. tad confused?
Thanks again

You can get yeast here Craig.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263182583444
I use a full sachet, they recommend 2 for a 23ltr batch.

I guess some 5g sachets will do 10ltr or up to 25 but for the cost i just throw it in.

Just 1 question though, when you say 1/2 packet of yeast what is that exaclty. tad confused?

Technically you could probably get away with a third of an 11g packet of sweetened cider yeast, but I use a half. Obviously I don't physically weigh it out, but I tip half the packet into the brew and then save the other half for the next TC brew. I keep it as fresh as I can by storing in the fridge.

Sorry. I should just clarify that the above is for a DJ. If I was brewing 20 plus litres, then it would be the whole packet.
Hello again Barley, as ive been extremely busy doing other things these past few weeks, ive now got the time to start on my first attempt at TC cider. As ive done wine recently and attempted lager, both of these processes add sugar to the initial fermentation process, the ones on here only add sugar once the initial process has finished or am i missing something here. Also, ive read that people are asking how to make a cider with some fizz.
Ive made the WOW wine in a demi and again this recipes adds sugar at the start?
I have now got 3 litres of apple juice and a litre of red grape juice, to try my first attempt, can you please let me know the process with or without sugar?
Thanks in advance for your help

Latest posts

Back