How to move liquid to hydrometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzBrew

Reaction score
Hi all,

first time brewer here, i'm very enthusiastic about beer so I apologise in advance if I end up posting a lot of questions.

How is best to get my liquid out of the fermenting vessel to take a hydrometer reading. Just dip the trial jar in and fill to top? I tried doing that today for the pre fermentation measurement but the jar was very foamy and so my reading wasn't hugely accurate.

Some members use a turkey baster, some drop the hydrometer into the FV.

1586967176985.png

If you've only got one fermenter just put the hydrometer in there and leave it. The reading won't be fully accurate after a while because you'll get crud on it but it's a pretty good way of guaging how things are going. You can degas your sample because sometimes bubbles make the reading look higher than it is. And don't pour it back after. It's just one of those things.

Sterilise the hydrometer and jar and your hand and dip into your brew. If you have bubbles blow them off. Ensure you know how to read the reading I.e. the level of the liquid not the meniscus.

I lower the trial jar into the FV and fill it. While it is over the FV I add the hydrometer and the trial jar overflows into the FV. If there are bubbles on the top ,I either wait or move it near a sink and blow the bubbles off. Then I take the measurement and put the contents back into the FV or drink them for research purposes.

I use a 100ml syringe to draw up a sample and then empty it in to the trial jar. It’s so easy and reduces contact with the wort. I overfill the trial jar so any bubbles disappear and makes taking a reading easy.

Old thread, but for anyone new reading it...

Fermtech "thief" works for me. Hydrometer fits inside sample tube, so allows you to test brew within "thief" and return sample to FV after testing, (assuming all has been properly sanitised, of course!). Allows more frequent testing whilst keeping yield to bottles/kegs high. (Especially towards end of fermentation when you'd hope that there's little change in either SG or taste from one day to next). Full "thief" is about 150ml, same as hydrometer sample jar.

https://brew2bottle.co.uk/products/fermtech-wine-thief
(Other suppliers are available...)

Last edited:
Do you guys make some allowance for temperature when using a hydrometer in the wort?

Do you guys make some allowance for temperature when using a hydrometer in the wort?

Only if there's significant difference in temp from one measurement to next.

My Stevenson Reeves hydrometer says it's calibrated to 20degC. (S1011 Triple Scale Hydrometer Hydrometers for Home Wine and Beer Making).

However, if all my SG measurements are taken at say 18degC, then I figure the OG to FG difference will amount to the exact same SG points, after any adjustment, as before.

So, will make no arithmetic difference in calc of ABV, nor in assessing whether fermentation is over (i.e. SG being static, one measurement to the next).

In any case, these days - now that I'm knocking on a bit, and with need for 'readers' just to check the time - I'm pretty pleased if I can read my hydrometer any more accurately than to say, a couple of SG points anyway! As it is, even then, I usually need a magnifying glass and a spotlight!

Think perhaps SR needs to bring out large scale hydrometer for seniors - bit like those phones with buttons the size of postage stamps!

Last edited:
Only if there's significant difference in temp from one measurement to next.

My Stevenson Reeves hydrometer says it's calibrated to 20degC. (S1011 Triple Scale Hydrometer Hydrometers for Home Wine and Beer Making)

However, if all my SG measurements are taken at say 18degC, then I figure the OG to FG difference will amount to the exact same SG points, after any adjustment, as before.

So will make no arithmetic difference in calc of ABV nor in assessing whether fermentation is over (i.e. SG being static one measurement to the next).

In any case, these days - now that I'm knocking on a bit, with need for 'readers' just to check the time - I'm pretty pleased if I can read my hydrometer any more accurately than a couple of SG points anyway!

As it is, I usually need a magnifying glass and a spotlight! Think perhaps SR needs to bring out large scale hydrometer for seniors, bit like those phones with buttons the size of postage stamps!
You need one of these Brewing Equipment - Testing and Measuring Equipment - Large Hydrometer 1000-1060 - The Malt Miller | The Malt Miller
They are easy to read, only downside is that if you are making big beers that start at more than 1060 then you need a refractometer for the SG.

Yep...those large scale hydrometers are far easier to read than the normal ones that only have 2 gravity point scale markings....I've got both the low range and the high range (1050-1100) hydrometers....use them exclusively now.....just need to be ultra careful with them as they still do not bounce when dropped, despite their higher cost.

Back