How to pronounce trub

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrence R

Reaction score
As someone who has gathered most of his brewing learning from books - how do you pronounce “trub”. I had also assumed it was as rhymes with scrub, rub, etc. Now I hear Americans on you tube pronouncing it as if spelt “troob“. Which is correct?

Personally I say trub as it appears, but "troob" is technically correct I believe.

Im just going to go with "trüb".

I pronounce it as in "troubled" (German trüb = U pronounced as in "bunch")

I've been trying to clean out a (not very IMO) wide-mouthed Wilko fermentation vessel. Maybe I could use a pressure washer, and wipe the inside top down with a dish cloth. It's not easy to get to the bottom.

Trub. Wort. Am I pronouncing beer correctly?

I would say the correct pronunciation is however the queen would say it, which is presumably the German way.

I pronounce it as in "troubled" (German trüb = U pronounced as in "bunch")

German speakers have a wide variety of regional accents, similar to English speakers in Britain.

Down my way, the letter u with umlaut (ü) is more like a "ue" sound, and is often written as such when one can't find the correct key on the keyboard. A direct English equivalent, and pronunciation, is the final sound in the word "blue". (which is actually "blau" in German, pronounced to rhyme with "cow")

So for me, trüb rhymes more with "tube" and "brood"

Edit: I asked one of my local brewing friends to record an audio file for me. See attached (it's an audio file converted to video so I can upload it here. Should work in something like VLC player. Even plays directly in Firefox for me when clicked.)

Attachments

• audio_2020-12-23_09-03-35_convert.mp4
    75.8 KB
Last edited:
I learned most of my brewing from US podcasts and for me it's Troob, Wurrt, Kroysen. If they are incorrect and they make me sound silly to a British brewer I don't really mind :)

Latest posts

Back