How to remove bits of Blackberry seeds from my brew please?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bootcutboy

Reaction score
Howdy all, a quick question that I Hope someone can help me with.
I am making A cider kit and had some blackberries in the freezer which I have blitzed and blended and added when syphoning into another FV for secondary fermentation today, however even though I blended and blended there are still loads of tiny rock hard bits of broken up blackberry seed left in the 23L of cider, will these seeds soften in the secondary fermentation? And if not how the hell am I going to get rid of them so they don’t spoil my drinking pleasure of this brew please??

As per usual any help would be awesome please folks!

EDIT: actually I just thought would my large autosyphon work If I symphonies off again into another FV? Or does that only work on stuff that is UNDER the syphon bottom?

Last edited:
The seeds should settle out at the bottom with the yeast. ( they do for me )

OR use a bag
This will keep the seeds and pulp contained.

I should point out crushing seeds is NOT a good idea.!!!!!!!!!
Did you know that there is anough cyanide in a cup full of apple pips to kill a healthy adult.?
cherry stones should also not be crushed.

The idea is to syphon off the wine at the TOP and leave the rubbish at the BOTTOM behind.

( opposite to cleaning the gravel in a fish tank.)

Have used blackberries in beer in the past. After freezing, a good plan is to put them in a weighted nylon bag to defrost overnight and add to the brew for a few days once the initial ferment is over. The seeds, woody bits etc then get removed easily. Blackberries add colour, but not much else in my experience.

Your best friend now is gravity and racking such that you don't disturb the bottom too much.

Wonderful answers thanks folks I will carefully rack off into another FV and then strain the stuff that’s left in the bottom, which should just be blackberry pips and flesh as I’ve already racked off once to get rid of the sediment.

Thanks again! Loving brewing at the mo, really appreciate this page and the wonderful helpful people who use it!

Latest posts

Back