How to remove bottle labels the easy way.

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Robin54

Landlord.
Reaction score
Nice one chippy...
but a dish washer will do the same...
by the way I don't work for Bosch or endorse any of there fantastically engineered products that are proven to last:mrgreen:

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Administrator
Reaction score
I dont have a dish washer (well not an electric one) do they have a filter to collect all the pieces of label?

Linalmeemow

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm sure this would work on simple glue and paper labels, but so many breweries now are using stronger glues and plastic labels that I'm not convinced will be removed by this...

junior1

Reaction score
Simply the best been using for a long time. When I put my own labels back on the bottles I paste the labels with milk. They come off under the tap with warm water

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

nigelnorris

Beavis at Bat
Reaction score
I stick all my bottles and jars into my dishwasher, only about half the labels come off, I recycle the ones that don't on the assumption that if the dishwasher won't do it nothing will. Haven't tried the OP method. [yet]

Tripster

Reaction score
I'm using wizz oxi on some Theafstones Old Peculier bottles at the moment some slide of some refuse to budge, most frustrating

ScouseBrew

Reaction score
I put a load (20+) of empties in a large black plastic bin full of water and left them for a couple of weeks. Went into the garden before and took them off with steel wool in less than 10 minutes; literally fell off.

Richie_asg1

Reaction score
I will try washing soda and see if it is any better than washing up liquid and a soak overnight. Usually by morning they are soft enough to scrape off leaving just a few bits left, that a stainless scouring pad takes off completely. Then it goes in the dishwasher. I don't want to gunge that up as it is magic - and runs on sunshine and pixiedust :lol:

Drunkskunk

Reaction score
Consider tough labels punishment for being a tight git...buy new bottles :grin:

Sharp knife and steel wool, furniture polish for stubborn glue.

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
Am I the only nerd who actually attempts to get the labels off in one piece so I can keep them? Judging by the number of beer bottle labels for sale on ebay, obviously not...

Clint

Hammered.....
Reaction score
Up to now the worst I've found are from St Austell brewery on Proper Job and Tribute..plastic label stuck on with glue. Hot water will not shift these..or remove the glue..peeled them off leaving a sticky patch that only solvent would clear...I'm used to resins,glues and solvents as I use them by the ton in work and even I thought these were the work of the devil...recent empties just got a good scalding out and then sterilised on bottle day..

regards

Clint

Baldwelder

Reaction score
I just soak them in warm soapy water for an hour until the labels peel off then us white spirit soaked dish washing sponge/ scourer to remove the glue

Greenhorn

Regular.
Reaction score
find yourself a friendly local pub who sell Koppaberg cider and get them to save you the bottles.

After a couple of minutes in warm water, the labels just fall off.

Also the bottles are a really nice sort of khaki colour glass.

They don't work with hand cappers though...

Brightonnik

Reaction score
Good tip about the Kopaberg bottles. Whilst a hand capper struggles I find doing it both sides and it works fine. Best bottles bar none are erdinger. Labels peel right off after a short soak and they are tough as anything.

chub1

Reaction score
I like a brew dog now and then and i also like using the smaller 330ml bottles. labels tear off:thumb:and the glue can be a little stubborn but a scourer will cure that:thumb: