How to remove bottle labels the easy way.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found you can tell the removal method by looking at them.

Lines on the back. Paper label. Water based glue. Soak overnight.

Shiny label. No peely edges. Warm it. Hot water inside, microwave or a hair dryer outside. Parrafin if any glue residue.

Mayo jars & tins. Labels a couple of thick dollops of glue. Rip label off. Warm glue to remove with tissue.

Scrubbies are your friends

The beer I drink here has a deposit on the bottles which means the brewery expects them back (ahem) and therefore use a glue that comes off very easily (15 mins in sodium percarbonate in my case).

So maybe try to get bottles from countries that have a deposit system?

Update post bottling session - you can't cap a Greene King IPA bottle :-( . Must be a different geometry or different size cap. Sod's law - easy to get label off but unusable. Is it a different cap size ?

First brew I've made since about 2017. I was reminded why I like doing it - the lovely smells at each stage. Had to put the bottles in the brew chamber to fizz up because the house is too hot.

I stopped removing labels a while back and now just reuse them with the label on. Doesn't look as kosher but as it's only me that drinks them 99% of the time it doesn't bother me.

Update post bottling session - you can't cap a Greene King IPA bottle :-( . Must be a different geometry or different size cap. Sod's law - easy to get label off but unusable. Is it a different cap size ?

First brew I've made since about 2017. I was reminded why I like doing it - the lovely smells at each stage. Had to put the bottles in the brew chamber to fizz up because the house is too hot.
They've moved to the type that have a thin collar around the neck, like Kopparberg cider and quite a few others now use. A two handled crown capper can't grab the collar, but a bench capper is still able to cap them (I think).

Good tip about the Kopaberg bottles. Whilst a hand capper struggles I find doing it both sides and it works fine. Best bottles bar none are erdinger. Labels peel right off after a short soak and they are tough as anything.
Most German breweries use water soluble adhesive for their bottles because there is a deposit charged on bottles and they are re-used rather that recycled.

I have a few in the pattern, they are not a problem. But I beat mine with rubber mallet.

I have never had a problem with these. I use a bench capper now but I don't recall any issue with the 2-handle capper in the past.
Of course after removing labels I don't track which bottles were Greene King IPA but I most definitely used some.

I have never failed to get the worst of labels off after soaking by using a metal pan scourer
This.
It works for particularly stubborn paper still attached to strong glue, or for residual sticky-stuff.
Also can remove the codes and/or dates printed directly on the bottle, if you care.

Innes & Gunn seem - Seems to be just your Donal Duck.

For the last few months I've been getting 330ml and 660ml clear bottles off Freecycle.
1st batch of 140 or so 330ml bottles just peeled off.
2nd and 3rd lots (300 bottles or so) have sat in Byre a month or so, so glue may have matured.

Anyway the fight for 120 330 ml bottles was won today. Hot water, Scrapper. Scoosh with garden hose - initial clean - and into bucket of cleaner - 1hr . Out. Quick stainless steel scour, scoosh and onto bottle stand. All sparkle.

Then just a squirt with steriliser and bottling tomorrow.

Back