How to remove bottle labels the easy way.

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

John Holgreaves

Brew Bitch
Reaction score
Just found this thread. This is one of the reasons I stopped bottling . Perhaps you could get your wife/ partner/butler to hold the bottle while you attack the label with a rotary wire brush on an angle grinder. Remember to wear eye protection. I tried this method once by holding the bottle in a vise, but the bottles usually smashed. Another way would be to attack it with a blow torch.asad. Hope this helps.

Staunton Lick

Reaction score
An old thread I know, but one that has well and truly saved my bacon! I have a Festival Belgian Pale Ale that's upward of 6.5% which has meant a mad dash to collect 330ml bottles. I just want to verify that WD40 works a treat on stubborn glue. And it doesn't get much more stubborn than on Punk IPA. So long as as much paper is removed as possible, a quick spray and scour and the glue comes straight off. Phew

merrydown

Reaction score
An old thread I know, but one that has well and truly saved my bacon! I have a Festival Belgian Pale Ale that's upward of 6.5% which has meant a mad dash to collect 330ml bottles. I just want to verify that WD40 works a treat on stubborn glue. And it doesn't get much more stubborn than on Punk IPA. So long as as much paper is removed as possible, a quick spray and scour and the glue comes straight off. Phew
Just a quick addition. I'm not meaning to contradict you in any way, but I've found that Punk IPA labels come off in one go and very easily IF you keep them dry and have them warm to the touch.

If you can pick up the corner of the label, you can raise not just the thick paper layer, but the glue layer below as well, which is like a sticky sheet of its own. If the temperature and pull is just right, you can sometimes get the whole thing off, including all the glue, in one move.

I recommend 'sticky stuff remover' / 'sticky label remover' (I can't remember what it is called exactly) or 'Goo Gone' for any stubborn remnants.

Staunton Lick

Reaction score
Ah, I did have one where I managed to take off the whole label in one go come to think of it. The remaining half dozen I'd already removed most of the paper after soaking. If anymore Punk's come my way in the next few days I'll heed your advice :thumbsup:

Cheshire Cat

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use washing up liquid and a scourer on the glue and it works well. I think the oil does the same job I.e. a lubricant.

merrydown

Reaction score
Ah, I did have one where I managed to take off the whole label in one go come to think of it. The remaining half dozen I'd already removed most of the paper after soaking. If anymore Punk's come my way in the next few days I'll heed your advice :thumbsup:
If I had a quid for every label I'd scored and soaked and scraped and then found a way around, I'd be a rich man :) The foil and acetate style ones often get me that way too.

Cheers!

Jim

Richie_asg1

Reaction score
Just give the vegetable oil a try if it works with WD40. It takes overnight but sometimes it works a treat and is cheaper.

Staunton Lick

Reaction score
The WD40 just happened to be to hand and with no veg oil and only a smidgen on Napolina olive oil available, I didn't want to face the wrath! I'll give the veg oil a go next time round athumb..

phildo79

Reaction score
For some unknown reason, the labels on the bottles of the really cheap ass beer from Lidl just slide right off when soaked in water. It's a mystery!

pilgrimhudd

Landlord.
Reaction score
Ahh I wondered if there was a thread such as this, I used veg oil and baking powder, smear the mixture on, leave for 20 mins and scour off, easy!

merrydown

Reaction score
I have to say, the guy who recommended vegetable oil and a scouring pad, you've revolutionised my delabelling method.

Those that I can't peel I savage with a knife to take off the label and rapeseed oil amd steel wool takes off the glue in seconds.

A little fairy liquid to remove the grease and it's all done!

Thanks.

neilb

Reaction score
Just soaked 2 Hobgoblin bottles in Asda oxy. The labels were peeling off after 10 minutes 😁 athumb..