How to repair the black rubber on top of a corny keg?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gloves might stop your hands from getting dirty but they won't stop the floor and anything else the base of the keg touches from getting marked up.

That's true but Duct tape underneath will stop marking where as lacquer may dissolve rubber components and car stuff is only temporary. If I come across this problem I think a new base covering the old rubber either made from new rubber matting or lightweight treated plywood.

It's really just more of an annoyance. But I have noticed the rubber on my keg is harder than the others. The others are a bit more squishy and have some give in them. This is noticeable when lifting them up when they are full. You can feel the rubber is softer. Perhaps these reconditioned, shorter, wider kegs are all like this?

I have this with one keg in particular, it has been in a fridge for 6 years conditioning an imperial stout, now I've cleaned and get black hands everytime I touch the handles lol. Has anybody tried the armor all spray ? it's about £6 on amazon at the mo (in its german format).

Six years!
sadly down to the last 3x330ml bottles of this lovely beer,was aged with some whisky soaked oak chips and being a strong stout was definitely a sipper!
I'm going to brew this next month and use some 25 year old scotch whisky staves this time and then bottle it to save the fridge space ! :laugh8: thumb.

Just to conclude this thread I started a while back: I have since tried the Armor spray from Amazon and after giving the keg a good blast with a pressure washer, I taped off the holes and applied 2 applications of the spray over a couple of days and worked it into the rubber.

After it dried, I tell you what, its not bad at all. Its not perfect by any means and nothing like new, but its definitely improved what it was and there is a shine back. The rubber is far more stabilised and only minimal black rubbing off now. Its prolonged the use of this keg for sure and will be in rotation, rather than my last backup keg!

At the end of the day the rubber had deteriorated (prob being stored in poor conditions for a long time/direct sun) and nothing is going to bring it back like new, but a jet wash/Armor spray is prob the best its going to get for less than a tenner.

Latest posts

Back