How To Use Salifert Alkalinity and Calcium Test Kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Salifert have changed the Ca kit as mine just arrived today and only has one bottle of solution and the instructions make no mention of a Ca-3 bottle. The instructions are also a bit rubbish in that it tells you to add 0.6ml of Ca-2 in one go then add drop wise until colour changes pink to blue. I did this, but colour was already blue. I then realised 0.6ml equates to 300 ppm Ca whereas my water is around 30. I did it again and this time just added dropwise from the start - it changed after adding only 0.06ml sp bang on 30ppm.
It took me a few tests to work out that when I actually added the ca1 powder, the colour was purple at that stage. Putting 0.6ml of reagent took me away past the stage where it turned blue. I done the same as you just adding drops at the start until it turned blue.

The instructions should really be reworded as they appear incorrect and have it in bold in 2 places that you should always add at least 0.6ml at the start.

Just tried my kits for the first time. I'm in West Yorkshire.

I needed just three drops for the KH test and two for the Ca.

So looks like I'm around 8ppm alkalinity and 15ppm Calcium.

How does this sound? Guess it's a pretty good base point? And it also means my Salifert kits should last a while!

Thank you, I have ju
I think Salifert have changed the Ca kit as mine just arrived today and only has one bottle of solution and the instructions make no mention of a Ca-3 bottle. The instructions are also a bit rubbish in that it tells you to add 0.6ml of Ca-2 in one go then add drop wise until colour changes pink to blue. I did this, but colour was already blue. I then realised 0.6ml equates to 300 ppm Ca whereas my water is around 30. I did it again and this time just added dropwise from the start - it changed after adding only 0.06ml sp bang on 30ppm.
Thank you, I have just received my ca kit and had the exact same problem. My water report says that I should have an average of 23.7ppm so that would suggest that the 0.6ml would also be far too much for me. Will have another try later on athumb.. as a side note, does anyone know what a good calcium level for a Czech Pilsner would be? every time I look I seem to end up with a different figure and end up more confused asad1

Latest posts

Back