How to use the Tesco Value kettle heating element

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tazuk said:

That's the chappie. :)

TRXnMe said:
Trinips said:
I've found some online for slightly less than the £6 for the Tesco kettles and are 1k5W which in paralell should be ideal for most standard 13A plugs. It won't quite be as fast at boiling as two Tesco ones but in my opinion is the ideal compromise

They are from a Hong Kong retailer so i can't say how reliable the delivery will be but i ordered two and they took about a week to arrive and all was good.

Do they fit the usual 38mm hole? If so I'll order a couple to try out, now Tesco have put the price of the value kettle up these look like they are worth a try :)

Yeah - they're basically the same 'form factor' of element as the Tesco ones i think, i just switched them out like for like.

Just thought I'd add to this thread. Despite it being written 2½ years ago, I recently had to buy 2 new Tesco Value kettles to replace a blown element in my boiler and the specs are exactly the same, so no worries about whether or not this info is still up to date. :thumb:

Hi, I just bought hot plugs from Maplin. Problem is that they didnt have any 10A ones in stock so I bought the 6Amp ones. Does anyone know if these will work or will I have trouble if I use them?

Cheers

seanmac said:
Hi, I just bought hot plugs from Maplin. Problem is that they didnt have any 10A ones in stock so I bought the 6Amp ones. Does anyone know if these will work or will I have trouble if I use them?

Cheers

You may have problems, the amount of heat energy generaged by the electric is equal to the current squared, so you've got a lot more heat in that 6 Amp plug than it's designed for.

If you get any problems it will be softening of the spring clips that make the contact with the kettle element connections due to heat. If you go ahead with them, keep a careful eye on how hot the plugs get while in use, my 10A ones get warm on a long boil (90 minutes) so the 6A may give up the ghost, or become so hot you burn your hand on the plastic cover.

TRXnMe said:
seanmac said:

Cheers

You may have problems, the amount of heat energy generaged by the electric is equal to the current squared, so you've got a lot more heat in that 6 Amp plug than it's designed for.

If you get any problems it will be softening of the spring clips that make the contact with the kettle element connections due to heat. If you go ahead with them, keep a careful eye on how hot the plugs get while in use, my 10A ones get warm on a long boil (90 minutes) so the 6A may give up the ghost, or become so hot you burn your hand on the plastic cover.

Cheers for the reply.

I was passing another Maplin which had the 10A ones in stock so I decided to go in and change them!!

Got them all wired up and both cables are working fine but unfortunately one of my elements is not heating!! The light comes on when the cable is plugged in but unfortunately no heat :(

My next job is to take that element off again and see if there is any reason why it isnt or if it is just a dud element.

Hopefully it will be fully working soon!!

Looking to build a HLT and realised we had a Tesco value kettle, so persuaded SWMBO that we really needed a new kettle....

Got the srcewdrivers and soldering iron out but when I tried to take the 3 screw out of the back of the element housing one came out easily and the other 2 are jammed solid. WD40 wouldn't help and the heads of the screws are now gone.

Any ideas other than buy a new value kettle?

One of my elements in my boiler is dud, and it seems like tesco have stopped selling these products. (Has been out of stock for at least the last 3 weeks and now it has been removed from their site).

Does anyone know if the Asda/argos/similar kettles have holes of the same diameter(38mm) to make replacing it nice and simple?

Cheers

seanmac said:
One of my elements in my boiler is dud, and it seems like tesco have stopped selling these products. (Has been out of stock for at least the last 3 weeks and now it has been removed from their site).

Does anyone know if the Asda/argos/similar kettles have holes of the same diameter(38mm) to make replacing it nice and simple?

Cheers

I just got two of these, ordered them Monday, had to collect them from the post office today as they tried to deliver them while I was out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Ste ... 43bbcd064b

Not as powerful as the value kettle elements, but around the same price as the kettle, and saves you chucking the rest of it away :)

TRXnMe said:
seanmac said:

Cheers

I just got two of these, ordered them Monday, had to collect them from the post office today as they tried to deliver them while I was out

Not as powerful as the value kettle elements, but around the same price as the kettle, and saves you chucking the rest of it away :)

NB these kettle elements require 45mm hole (they used to do them in 40mm) so you need to be tooled up!

I have to unspam my postings.....

Cheers for the suggestions. I picked up an Argos one and it fitted like a treat, just incase anyone else is in the same situation. They are only a fiver by the way if anyone needs one.

Its all up and working now so :drink:

greenhouseuk said:
TRXnMe said:
seanmac said:

Cheers

I just got two of these, ordered them Monday, had to collect them from the post office today as they tried to deliver them while I was out

NB these kettle elements require 45mm hole (they used to do them in 40mm) so you need to be tooled up!

The ones I bought fitted my 38mm holes no problem, I'll dig out the eBay link to them if anyone is interested?

They also have a thicker rubber seal than the kettle ones, so I've not had ot use any baking sheet on these and they are nicely water tight on my stainless boiler.

Going to be interesting to see how long it take to ge a boil with the power drop, but they fit nice and easy :)

greenhouseuk said:
TRXnMe said:
seanmac said:

Cheers

Just received 2 from HK and can confirm they still need a 38mm hole. 45mm is the dia. of the back plate NOT the hole.

TRXnMe said:
seanmac said:

Cheers

I just got two of these, ordered them Monday, had to collect them from the post office today as they tried to deliver them while I was out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Ste ... 43bbcd064b

As they are 1.5Kw you should be able to use 2 on one ring main, shouldn't you?

Rhys said:
Just received 2 from HK and can confirm they still need a 38mm hole. 45mm is the dia. of the back plate NOT the hole.

What sort of delivery time is on these? I plan to order a couple middle of next week but the last thing which came from HK on free delivery took 35 days to arrive... Slow boat :lol:.

They look good seeing as my wife wont have me cutting up kettles for fear of them being unsafe, this is a good middle ground.

chrig said:
Rhys said:

What sort of delivery time is on these? I plan to order a couple middle of next week but the last thing which came from HK on free delivery took 35 days to arrive... Slow boat :lol:.

They look good seeing as my wife wont have me cutting up kettles for fear of them being unsafe, this is a good middle ground.
Mine came in about 5 days but they don't promise that!!

chrig said:
Rhys said:

The ones in my link were here nice and quick, less than a week after me placing the order :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back