How vigorous a ferment?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

I've just got my last 6 bottle kit on before moving on to 30 bottle kits.
So I have two fermenters I've been using for my beer, one 25l without a tap and one 33l with tap.
My question is how vigorous should I expect a cellar 7 Cabernet Sauvignon to be? Can I get away with using the 25l one for primary then rack into my larger one to make it easier to fill my bag in boxes once it's ready? I'd rather not have to ferment in the big one to allow for excessive foam then struggle slightly to pack from the smaller one without the tap? I'd also rather not need transfer again back into the one with the tap to pack.
Thanks in advance

Cheers .

Not sure about that specific kit, but I do wines in a 25l bucket and never had an overflow situation, regardless of yeast used.

I've actually got one of those, forgotten all about it.
I'd need to find an extra piece of tube to fit on the end of the tap so I can fill from the bottom of use bags without splashing

Cheers. Tom

I always start mine in a 33l and then rack to a 25l at 1.010
I do not think it would matter though starting in a 25l
Never use a tap. Don't trust them. Use simple syphon kit with trap and add a little bottler when bottling.

I found my syphon a few days ago so will probably do it as you suggest. The smaller tap on the syphon should be easier to use than the bigger one on the fermenter while holding the open end of a 5l bag

Cheers. Tom

Latest posts

Back