How will this taste???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grealish

Reaction score
I just had the most low stress brew day so far and as the last of the wort went into the fermenter, I unclipped my cooler... and as the hose popped off a big slurp of water from the hose landed in the cooled wort.

The brew was one of those hoppy IPASs with no additions until the wort had cooled to about 75C, at which point 100g of hops were steeped for 25 mins. I've cleaned the boiler out so there are no hops left and then put the cooled wort back in to boil for a further 15 mins to sterilise it. I'm leaving the lid on as I'm sure the DMS is long gone and maybe it will keep in some of the hop flavours?

I'm going to add a small amount more whirlpool hops (unless anyone tells me I'm wrong in the next 15 mins). I will dry hop with another 100g of hops for the last three days.

So my question is, how much and in what way am I likely to have compromised the flavour of this brew?

Boiling for 15mins has turned your post boil additions into 15 min additions and that has to have had some affect. Adding more hops will improve the aroma and hence flavour.
It is annoying in as much as these type of hops ain't cheap. Unlikely to have done fundamental harm, the re-boil.

A lot of more experienced (or just plain lax) brewers would have ignored the big slurp of water and carried on.

plain lax) brewers would have ignored the big slurp of water and carried on.
Fo sho. I'd be thinking as long as it hasn't dropped the temperature below 65c then that's going to be pasteurised. Plus most drinking water is fine anyway otherwise pretty much all kit brewers would be shafted.

I'm not doing any more flameout hops with a no chill and moving them all to a dry hop. I'll probably end up doing a side by side test eventually.

It was at 20c. What bothered me was it coming through a hose and my cooler, but I suppose they are both flushed regularly through with clean water.

It was at 20c. What bothered me was it coming through a hose and my cooler, but I suppose they are both flushed regularly through with clean water.

No point dwelling on it now. just work out what you do different next time and, er, just do it.

Think about the next brew. This one will be fine and being lulled into a false sense of security is part of the game, I'm afraid.

So, what's the next brew? You fancy a cheeky one before the Easter Hols? I know I do. 8 or 9 weeks out the game with a broken shoulder (technically a fractured left proximate humerus) has left me with the odd empty bottle in the garage.

It's going to be horrible. Bring it round to me, I'll drink it for you.o_O

Had a similar problem when my copper immersion cooler developed a pin-prick hole. I didn't see what was going on until the copper started to overflow. Instead of 5 gallons of brown, I got the best 6,5 gallons on mild I've ever tasted.

Back