Howdy from Teesside

Discussion in 'Wine, Cider, Mead and Kombucha Discussion.' started by Bootcutboy, Nov 7, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Nov 7, 2019 #1

Bootcutboy

Bootcutboy

Bootcutboy

Hello all, just wanting to introduce myself, I am just about to start up brewing again after giving up the first time to do lack of spare time.
    A couple of years back I actually managed to fashion a fruit press and made myself a load of proper cider with fizz from about 3 black bags full of apples that I blagged off all my neighbours, it was tough going but it was the nicest cider I’ve ever tasted, probably as there was such a variety of apples in it, also it was bloody lethal.

Anyway as I said I am just coming back to trying to get into brewing again after a couple of busy years that I’ve dedicated to learning to play the guitar properly and started up a 50’s Rockabilly Trio with me as singer/lead and rhythm guitarist, a drummer and a proper double bass player, which is going great. Needless to say this love for playing music goes hand in hand with a right thirst for alcohol, and basically being a poverty stricken musician I need all the cheap booze I can make!

I am currently making a wilko’s golden lager kit and next would like to start up a red wine kit, so I am wondering if anyone can suggest the best (but most straightforward) wine kit out there to ensure it comes out decent and drinkable. I was going to just get a Wilkos Medium red 20 bottle kit to try out first but read on some forums that it came out weak and more like a rose.

Red wine wise I am not a fan of anything too deep and thick tasting, I struggle with Malbecs. At the mo I am loving the cheap Fire Tree NERO D’Avalo from Aldi, I also usually love a Rioja and chateaux Neuf de pape. So any help, recommendations or tips with doing my first ever red wine kit would be really really appreciated, I want to get stocked up for Crimbo if poss.

Anyhoo nice to meet you all, I hope this is the start of a beautiful squiffy friendship... hic!

Dave

2. Nov 7, 2019 #2

stephen1546

stephen1546

stephen1546

Hello

Good luck with the band, been making red wine and white kits for over a year now.
    I usually buy Solomon Grundy Platinum kits, they come at around £33 and take around 2 weeks from start to bottling. They are 30 bottle kits but i usually brew a little short and end up with around 25 bottles. I find they are as good as any 6 quid bottles you find in the shops.
    They are straight forward to make and they come with 5 litres of grape juice and finings with no sugar required.

Cheers

Stevie

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2019
  3. Nov 7, 2019 #3

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Administrator. Administrator

4. Nov 7, 2019 #4

DavieC

DavieC

DavieC

Regular.

@Bootcutboy , do you play a Gretsch?
    I've made a couple of California Connoisseur kits which turned out great and a Beaverdale Pinot Noir which I thought was excellent, brew2bottle had some wine kits on offer, worth a look. acheers.

5. Nov 7, 2019 #5

Banbeer

Banbeer

Banbeer

Regular. Supporting Member

Welcome along buddy:thumba:

6. Nov 8, 2019 #6

druid1966

druid1966

druid1966

Hello! I just got back into brewing also ( and also finally decided to learn to play guitar ) I keep mostly to myself with the guitar, but really enjoy my 1971 Martin D-35 with a TC , stout, or thick and chewy Pinot Noir. Great place this!

I posted a thread on tinkering with wine kits and you can improve a pretty cheap kit doing some of the cheats.....

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  7. Nov 14, 2019 at 9:27 AM #7

Bootcutboy

Bootcutboy

Bootcutboy

Hi Stevie thanks for the heads up about the Solomon Grundy kits, they do seem to get very good reviews. Since I posted this thread I’ve actually come across a really good deal for the Make You Own Wine kits, I got a red and a white kit for under £30 total which is ace (if they turn out ok) so I will give them a go first before I move onto the more expensive kits. Thanks again!

stephen1546 likes this.
  8. Nov 14, 2019 at 9:29 AM #8

Bootcutboy

Bootcutboy

Bootcutboy

Hi there thanks for the recommendation, actually I have bagged a bargain and got a red and a white Make Your Own kit both for under £30! They are my xmas pressie off my wife So I will be giving them a go after Xmas. Thanks a lot

Chippy_Tea likes this.
  9. Nov 14, 2019 at 9:32 AM #9

Bootcutboy

Bootcutboy

Bootcutboy

Haha yes I play a Gretsch but managed to steer clear of the stereotypical Rock-A-Billy orange one, I got a nice light green one. Thanks for the heads up about those kits, I will add them to my list to make in future! Much obliged kind sir.

Attached Files:

DavieC likes this.
  10. Nov 14, 2019 at 9:33 AM #10

Bootcutboy

Bootcutboy

Bootcutboy

Thanks a lot matey acheers.

11. Nov 14, 2019 at 9:38 AM #11

Bootcutboy

Bootcutboy

Bootcutboy

I was always just a singer rather than singer guitarist but I forced myself to learn as I wanted to be in a three piece, less people/arguements/travelling arrangements to deal with and of course less ways to split any earnings haha. It was hard, probably the hardest thing I’ve ever done but I feel quite proud of myself for sticking with it, however I only consider myself an intermediate lead player. I have my Gretsch, a nice Fender Tele, a Gretsch resonator and a tanglewood Uke which is also loss of fun.
    I will certainly have a look at your thread about tinkering with kits, do you have a link to it or can you tell me how I’d find it please? Thanks a lot, Dave