Hudson1984 Homebar Build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well - to be honest I'm seriously considering covering the carpet when all this is done. It's quite firm carpet tiles so after a spot of research, it seems that it'll be fine under a wooden floor. So I think once the bar is finished i'm going to try my hand at laying flooring. Just ruins the look of the room... so what this means is who cares about the carpet :)

1621849621595.png

1621849670065.png

well, sanding is taking an age, spent about 3 hours over the weekend and the boards are coming along, I want to spend longer on the top as it needs to be comfy on the arm when having a lean and a pint, so I've rounded the edges. I could've done this with a router but I do want to keep some roughness to it.

Got them all pretty flat, then gap filled with wood glue and sawdust - certainly makes it look like I'm a better joiner than I am!!

I'll be putting beading around the wall I think, just to really close any gaps, makes keeping it clean a littles easier.

Also, as you can see, the rest of my pipework arrived so couldn't resist a dry fit. I haven't lined the outlets up as that would be pointless at this stage, but already know that's going to be a pain in the rear!!

the position is great though, feels really comfy or a pull. As you can see i've got some brackets on there too to take the shelf. Need to remove my tin signs and tidy the wall back up, give it a clean and fill the holes etc - but will finish sanding first.

Next step will be to complete the leg cutouts under the other side, I can't fit the bar top on that till it's done so will be off for more boards today to get that sorted. Hopefully get it all cut and "in" tonight. Then can just do an hour of sanding every night and hopefully by the weekend I can get some stain on.

Going for a golden oak type of stain for this, then will be covering with bar laquer. I want smooth on top, but not glossy.

Once it's all stained, I'll start running the pipes.

I have secured the C02 bottle in under the right hand side, that's positioned well, should be easy to swap out. I'll be putting my N02 bottle in the keezer for wine dispense. Might get a 30/70 or similar to allow for other drinks too

Well i'm slowly getting back in action.

been shifted to a pergola that SWMBO wants, and that needs finishing before the patio goes down on the 8th so time is against me.

Happily the roof has been delayed so i've had some time to press on with the bar.

The actual bar itself is now built, just have a horrendous amount of sanding to do before I can stain it.

Malt miller had a bit of a boo boo and sent me 8m of beer line instead of 20 so that's held me up from getting the keezer further along too.

But, got a couple of lines routed. I'm trying to work out what space I have available in the beast, as I'd like to put a wooden frame in there to allow me to keep the beer and gas lines tidy. But we'll see.

I've had a couple of hours to do some more sanding. I've put a whole load of filler on the bar top to seal all gaps and cracks. I want the top to be pretty smooth and nice whereas the base can retain a bit more character...... possibly.....see how I go with the sander!!

I'm going to stain it in an oak shade, then use bar laquer over the whole thing.

Annoyingly the fridge I bought off facebook has died so will be needing a new one. But at least this one serves as a template (and was only a tenner)

More to follow :)

as you can see, I've fixed the tap tower upright. This is just a starting point. Gives me something to route lines through....the tough bit of getting it all to line up comes next!!

image_from_ios_720.jpg
image_from_ios (2).jpg
image_from_ios (1).jpg
image_from_ios.jpg

Well, managed to put some more time into the bar build.
Managed to finish the tap tower, just awaiting shanks and awaiting taps to be in stock again,

but, stain is on, first coat of laquer done too.
Decided to get the top sorted before doing the rest. Just wanted to see something finished.

bit darker than originally planned but I like it.

4 more coats of laquer then will get back to sanding
574BD0F4-A95B-4E20-A02A-4C27697075CB.jpeg
8BC369EC-4CD5-47A7-8DC4-7B7FCB179BA0.jpeg
AC259239-BE82-4996-8B29-A36781F1C924.jpeg
10A95671-DA1F-42A3-8598-0435351E9432.jpeg

Is that a deep freeze under the taps? If it is, I'm intrigued to know how you access the lid!

it is indeed.

I found furniture moving casters. Hold 500kg, which it sits on. So, remove the front panel (which is removed on the photo) pull out the keezer, lift lid - do necessary work - slide back in, out front door back on

Well the woodwork is finally done. Stained and varnished and I’m pleased I am so tired of sanding!!!

Going to have a break from it for a week or two, just been a long slog.

so what’s left of the job list;
insulate lines
Connect keezer internals
Buy more kegs
Add remaining 5 taps
Repaint the wall
Finish the shelf
New sofa for lounge end
Sleep
95B98CB0-2AB9-4C13-B978-FE0AEE880EC8.jpeg
128E7E43-7B05-471A-A6CD-991D83AF5A2A.jpeg
70354B26-5335-45AB-978F-AF63B034861B.jpeg
FE04920B-1FFE-4D76-93F8-6E1D5910FDB9.jpeg

Well the woodwork is finally done. Stained and varnished and I’m pleased I am so tired of sanding!!!

Going to have a break from it for a week or two, just been a long slog.

so what’s left of the job list;
insulate lines
Connect keezer internals
Buy more kegs
Add remaining 5 taps
Repaint the wall
Finish the shelf
New sofa for lounge end
Sleep
View attachment 51441View attachment 51442View attachment 51443View attachment 51444
Looking good bud clapa clapa clapa

Buy many more kegs, you deserve it! 😂

There's a heck of a lot of work gone into that bar. Hats off to you for persistence. The colour and finish is great, you should be pleased with the result. Get your taps on, get a few mates around and enjoy it!

It's starting to take shape. Looking really well. Hopefully I will start my own next year. Wood has got a shocking price

cheers all, I’m pleased for sure.

I’d recommend scaffold, our local place sells old boards for £5/6ft so isn’t bad. Just takes a whole load of prep is all I mean a thicknesser makes short work of it but if you’re keen to save it’s a great way to go

Back