Huge Foam Head on my kit brew

Discussion in 'General Beer Brewing Discussion' started by David Woods, Aug 12, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Aug 14, 2019 #21

Arcs

Arcs

Arcs

Regular.

I didn't buy that stuff anyway....I read into it and it looked ok. But as Churchill or rather a piss take of his quote said, 'We will bite the foam on the features'. xD

GerritT likes this.
  2. Aug 17, 2019 #22

David Woods

David Woods

David Woods

Hi all,

This brew has slowed right down - my hydro reading are showing 1.019 - from 1.022 on the 13th so slowing down - I am hoping this will keep going - I raised the fridge temp 2 deg c couple of days ago to see if this would move thing along as it seems to have slowed a lot - current temp 20 c. USo5 range supposed to be from 15 c. Just wondering if this is normal as at this rate it will still be going well into week 3 and I planned to dry hop as well. Is this due to the extra stuff I put in? (see start of thread). A taste of the sample seems ok and not too sweet. Will have little left if I keep testing at this rate!!

3. Aug 17, 2019 #23

terrym

terrym

terrym

Your beer is still fermenting. If it's at about 20*C it will be fine. Someone said US-05 takes a long time, some yeasts do that, others don't and can be finished in a few days. Basically it will be finished when its finished. Your OG at 1.047 has only had a small impact on the time it is taking relative to a slightly lower SG say 1.042. My advice is to forget all about it for another 3/4 days then retest the SG if its still going down leave it longer. It won't do it any harm to leave it in the FV. But I suggest you back off adding your hops until the SG has bottomed out. And in the meantime try to keep the lid on.

4. Aug 21, 2019 #24

David Woods

David Woods

David Woods

Hi All,

Today the beer reached 1.010 so I decided to add the dry hops - 30g Citra and 30g Cascade. Just before hopping I had a good look at the beer and there is an awful lot of stuff "suspended" in the beer - not noticed this before. It looks like a lot of very fine sand - I haven't moved the FV so not disturbed anything - is this normal, ok or has something gone wrong. It has spent 2.5 weeks in the FV so far. Going to leave the hops in for 5 days then cold crash for 48 hours to try and clear it a bit.

I am doing the right thing or have I gone about this the wrong way - hoping I am going to get something drinkable at least!

Cheers

5. Aug 21, 2019 #25

davidfromUS

davidfromUS

davidfromUS

Regular.

Glad your beer is doing well. I wouldn't worry about the particles. They should fall out with time/cold crashing.
    Just a heads-up on the US-05: Fermentis has the ideal range at 18-28. Now, you may have read info from people very experienced but I've always found the manufacturer's site to be the numbers to follow.

6. Aug 21, 2019 #26

David Woods

David Woods

David Woods

Thanks Dave, I thought I had read the range was from 15 - 26c so I guess it was too low - will have to be more careful in the future with my experiments!

7. Sep 9, 2019 #27

David Woods

David Woods

David Woods

Bit of an update on this experimental kit brew.

When I bottled this I did a couple of small 330ml bottles as samplers - turns out to be a good idea. I tried one today even though it still has a couple of weeks to go. Very clear and the batch priming seems to have worked well although I think I could still go a bit higher on the carb - I calculated it to be around 2.6 co2 - but the beer was excellent! It had a lot of hop aroma and when tasting it also had a great citrus flavour. The most satisfying outcome was no home brew twang - the first Coopers kit was very twangy so I think using a different yeast, controlled temp and dry hopping worked a treat. I dry hopped with 30g of Citra and 30g of Cascade.

This tastes like a commercial beer to me and whilst this is a lager kit it tastes exactly like the Shipyard Pale Ale and the Citra from Oakhams - over the moon with the outcome of this experiment and will be doing it a lot more. Would recommend doing this if you like those hoppy beers. Looking forward to sucking it all back in a couple more weeks.

Thanks for all the help and input.

Dave