Hurricane Florence likely 'the storm of a lifetime' for Carolinas.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are bits if weather called "spells"? All sounds a bit like witch craft....
Gunge ....pork pies....now you're talking ...I'm off out to buy some!

Round here, the first things to run out in Asda are frozen pizzas and Fosters lager. You can see the mentality I have to endure on a daily basis.
I can see the beer being the first to go--that only makes sense.
What I forgot to point out was that these "emergencies" that empty shelves or cause round-the-block lines at the gas station are definitely not real emergencies.
Now, that hurricane headed for the east coast? That is an actual situation.
How are you folks getting lightning strikes like that? Living in the country? We get some whopper lightning storms here but houses being struck is a non-issue because of all the trees and utility poles I assume.

So... whilst N.Carolina has lots of weather related stress and adrenalin, we have the usual, monotonous 'mainly dry with sunny spells' scenario. God it's almost too distressing to contemplate. Roll on October, maybe our turn will come around, albeit a no-doubt watered down version.

I just checked the average winter temperatures in the UK. High of 7C and low of 2C, not much in the way of snow accumulation. That doesn't sound so bad.
Sometimes, here during the winter, you need to protect the car engine from direct wind or even a well-maintained vehicle may not start. Or you have to shovel your car out which can take up to a half hour. Then, you have to get a running start with the car and not stop until you get to a plowed area; otherwise, you get stuck and have to dig your car out again.
We'll get on occasion, perfectly iced roads (warms up so that everything melts and then freezes). It can then be too cold for salt to work and you get an ice rink situation--gently press the brake during one of the scenarios and it doesn't matter how slow you're going, you can still begin gliding. Very good for the collision shops and bad for the insurance companies.
I would like 3 1/3 distinct seasons and not 4: Spring, Summer, Fall and 1/3 Winter. We could move to 5 hours south and pretty much have that. I'm complaining but not too strenuously about it.

Had 140mph gusts up here a few years ago. My composter lid got severely shaken and scarred for life. Some folks actually had their trampolines blown away,,,, Scary. All the plastic consumer *hite became missiles of destruction. I was on channel 4 extreme weather riding a big skate board with a carrier bag sail. Then it got serious when Storm Henry removed my kitchen roof,,,, 60mph here Tues night. No problems!

Had 140mph gusts up here a few years ago. My composter lid got severely shaken and scarred for life. Some folks actually had their trampolines blown away,,,, Scary. All the plastic consumer *hite became missiles of destruction. I was on channel 4 extreme weather riding a big skate board with a carrier bag sail. Then it got serious when Storm Henry removed my kitchen roof,,,, 60mph here Tues night. No problems!

It sure is relative. I googled your position on the map...seems like an awesome and beautiful place to live (not counting the disaster stuff which mostly can be prepare for, I hope).
140mph is the real deal even for a tornado. Saw a piece of straw driven into a tree by a tornado once on TV. It seems that most locations have their downside: California has earthquakes, east coast here has hurricanes, mid country can get hit by a tornado. I live super far inland but tornadoes are possible but there hasn't been one in the city since I don't know when.
How was it that you were filmed riding a skate board with a sail?

The problem here is we are never prepared for the cold snap in winter a couple of inches of snow brings the country to its knees the trains don't run, schools close because they are frightened someone may slip hurt themselves and sue them so parents have to stay off work at short notice, I could go on but you get my drift (no pun intended) wink...

Snow always shuts everything down round where I live, but it happens so infrequently that no-one would think it justified to spend the millions it would take for all the equipment to keep things moving. There again we're all pretty laid back round here - snow?, take a few days off work, no problem.
No one round here pi**es their pants if they can't get to work.

Any state that doesn't get snow regularly has the same frailties as you. An inch of snow can and does cause panic in the South. The number of accidents spike but aren't bad ones; it's just people not putting it all together that the white stuff on the road is slippery.
Thinking over what is required to drive in snow, it's really not much, and honestly, a well done video of about three minutes could handle all the basics. The "advanced" material would cover what to do after you've not followed, precisely, what to do in the basic video, such as how to recover from a skid.

Thinking over what is required to drive in snow, it's really not much, and honestly, a well done video of about three minutes could handle all the basics.

The best advice is don't use the car unless it is totally necessary and if you have no option make it as winter friendly as you can, i used to think these winter tyres were a con but if i were doing a lot of winter miles i would definitely consider fitting some. (they work better in temperatures below 7c as well as in the snow)

If you do decide to fit them don't make the mistake of thinking you'll save money by only fitting them on one axle (see video 2)

Last edited:
Not driving unless necessary is good advice. My brother has a full set of winter tires he uses.
The combination of salting and plowing is effective enough in Metro Detroit most of time. Sometimes the snow just keeps coming and the plowing can't keep up. Outside of Metro Detroit, there can be snow on the ground that doesn't get handled so quickly.

The problem here is we are never prepared for the cold snap in winter a couple of inches of snow brings the country to its knees the trains don't run, schools close because they are frightened someone may slip hurt themselves and sue them so parents have to stay off work at short notice, I could go on but you get my drift (no pun intended) wink...

A few years back there was a light snowfall during my Friday night shift. It thawed a bit, the skies cleared then it re-froze to something with all the frictional qualities of Teflon. I 'lost it' coming down our very steep road in my crappy old Astra. Couldn't do a damn thing about it. Everything seemed to be happening in slo-mo. Eventually stopped by a brand new, parked up Passat. I was gonna do a runner but the owner was alerted by all the whistles and bells of his wrecked car-alarm. Had to do the decent thing and give him the missus' insurance details.

You probably did him a favour i bet he didn't replace it with another. :laugh8:

Not sure tbh, but although the visible damage wasn't too bad, being shunted down the road trashed the transmission apparently, and warranted being written off. My Astra was caved-in at the front and it was due for its MOT so I swapped it for an even crappier Seat with a longish MOT. But that's another story...

Latest posts

Back