Hydrometer accuracy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bon79

Reaction score
Just brewing my first beer after a few efforts with wine. Its a Georgie Bitter 40 pint kit. Seems to be stuck at 1012 after a week fermenting - just wondering if its OK to bottle at that - instructions say 1005 or below, which seems unlikely. Temp has been 22 degrees give or take throughout. Cheers.

Seems a bit high,I would let it go on a bit to see if if it comes down further.
Since you doubt your hydrometer,Test it in tepid plain water it should read 1.000 at the recommended temperature normally about 15-20c.

A week isn’t really long enough despite what the instructions on kits usually say. Give it another week and check again.

1012 is a reasonable FG and the chances are it'll drop 1 or 2 points more in the next week as well as clear up a bit as the yeast settles out giving you less crud in the bottles.

Thanks for the replies. Hydrometer seems to read 1003 in water, so I guess all my readings to date have been suspect!! Think I'll give it another week as suggested to be on the safe side. Its supposed to be bottled with sugar, so was a bit worried about exploding bottles. Thanks again for the advice.

Back