Hydrometer reading much higher than expected. What now?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flamenco

Reaction score
My first brew in 20+ years has been in the VF for 10 days (Brewferm Abdij). I used the hydrometer before pitching yeast - 1064. The instructions tell me it should read 1010 for bottling. I checked it last night - it reads 1022. Is this too high for bottling?

The instructions are a bit confusing - they say to transfer the beer to a second FV for a couple of weeks before bottling, but I don't know if the yeast is still working. I was going to add the second sugar (spraymalt) at this point but have held off as the hyd reading was high.

My plan is to leave it in the second FV for a few days - check the hydrometer reading again and see if it's changed. If not bottle it. If it is still on the move then let it continue and check again in a few more days time etc until I have two readings the same a couple of days apart.

Is this about right?

Any advice from you seasoned brewers very welcome.

(It's been at a temperature of about 20C with a few variations of a few degrees for all 10 days.)

Hi F, Chill man & relax your brew is dropping but too high to bottle at present,give it time & take the instructions as a guide only.
Temperature will play a big part in the ferment so check it in 2-3 days time & see what it reads.Just relax & all will come good, just ask if you feel concerned. :cheers: ken.

If it's stuck at 1022 (for a few days) you might want to give it a stir to rouse the yeast. It should have fermented out by now.

Hey, this post is super old but what was the out come in the end? Was it fine after a few days? Did it require another stir?

Hey, this post is super old but what was the out come in the end? Was it fine after a few days? Did it require another stir?

I'd be more than a little surprised if the op responds here. They've not signed in for about a year.

Are you having a similar problem?

Dunno about this specific brew, but a stir might help (with something sanitised), raise the temperature if it was too cold (februari can get chilly), add other yeast (maybe the brewferm yeast was old-ish). So... if it worked out alright, it's been drunk, I guess.

Let's consider this case closed :beer1:

I'd be more than a little surprised if the op responds here. They've not signed in for about a year.

Are you having a similar problem?
I’ll be honest, probably not. This is my second time making beer and its just a smidge higher than it should be, i was just searching to see what people’s solutions were and wondered how the OP got on...

I’m sure mine will be fine in a few days (it recommended 5-10 days and i’m only on day 8/9). I guess i was just over thinking and getting myself all worried as im still new

I’ll be honest, probably not. This is my second time making beer and its just a smidge higher than it should be, i was just searching to see what people’s solutions were and wondered how the OP got on...

I’m sure mine will be fine in a few days (it recommended 5-10 days and i’m only on day 8/9). I guess i was just over thinking and getting myself all worried as im still new

RDWHAHB

Leave it for a few days, 2 weeks is recommended for regular beers. Then 2 weeks building CO2, then 2 weeks of waiting, but most brewers have already cracked one open by that time.
We're drinkers, not waiters.

My first brew in 20+ years has been in the VF for 10 days (Brewferm Abdij). I used the hydrometer before pitching yeast - 1064. The instructions tell me it should read 1010 for bottling. I checked it last night - it reads 1022. Is this too high for bottling?

The instructions are a bit confusing - they say to transfer the beer to a second FV for a couple of weeks before bottling, but I don't know if the yeast is still working. I was going to add the second sugar (spraymalt) at this point but have held off as the hyd reading was high.

My plan is to leave it in the second FV for a few days - check the hydrometer reading again and see if it's changed. If not bottle it. If it is still on the move then let it continue and check again in a few more days time etc until I have two readings the same a couple of days apart.

Is this about right?

Any advice from you seasoned brewers very welcome.

(It's been at a temperature of about 20C with a few variations of a few degrees for all 10 days.)

Once bottled a Brewferm Kit (Christmas Ale or something) at 1.020. They never exploded on me, but oh,my, did it fly out the bottle when opened!

Ended up pouring the whole lot (only about 7 Litres or so) into a small FV and re-bottling. Really bad move bottling at 1.020!

These kits need leaving for several months, iirc, so patience is your best friend!

Back