Hydrometer reading (with pics)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmac

Regular.
Reaction score
Can anyone decipher this hydrometer reading please as I haven't got a clue

Attachments

• IMG_20210308_111733.jpg
    IMG_20210308_111733.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20210308_112248.jpg
    IMG_20210308_112248.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20210308_112502.jpg
    IMG_20210308_112502.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20210308_112248.jpg
    IMG_20210308_112248.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 106
You’re better off leaving it for 30 mins or so and letting the bubbles disappear. You also need to make sure you spin/tap the hydrometer a couple of times to make sure there arent any bubbles affecting the reading.

If I had to guess from your pictures, which is tough with the bubbles in the way and the angle, I would say a reading of about 1.006/8. You want to be reading it level with the top of the liquid unobscured.

You’re better off leaving it for 30 mins or so and letting the bubbles disappear. You also need to make sure you spin/tap the hydrometer a couple of times to make sure there arent any bubbles affecting the reading.

If I had to guess from your pictures, which is tough with the bubbles in the way and the angle, I would say a reading of about 1.006/8. You want to be reading it level with the top of the liquid unobscured.
I've poured it away now but I'll take another later

I've poured it away now but I'll take another later
The thick line with ‘1000’ above it is 1.000. Every line underneath is on a scale of 0.002. Therefore 3 thin lines under the thick 1000 line equals 1.006 etc

Hope this helps fella

The thick line with ‘1000’ above it is 1.000. Every line underneath is on a scale of 0.002. Therefore 3 thin lines under the thick 1000 line equals 1.006 etc

Hope this helps fella
Cheers manners I'll get the hang of it eventually lol

Yeah I would read that measurement as 1.006 , there are some very good YouTube tutorials on how to read a Hydrometer.

Just watching love brewing video on it but I never took an og
It is all a learning process. You'll be prepared for the next brew. Take the reading again in 48 hours, if the reading is still 1.006 which it probably will be then your fermentation has finished and you can bottle your beer.
I have done 3 x beers, a wine kit and a cider kit so far. So I am very new to this too, I just started in December. Each time I learn something new and make the process a little easier. Just make sure everything is clean and sanitised and you won't go too far wrong. After you prime your beer and bottle the brew, put it back to where you brewed your beer for 2 weeks and then move it somewhere cool for a further 2 weeks to condition. I keep a little note book, and everytime I do a beer I write down the Original Gravity readings and final readings. How much priming sugar I used etc. It helps as a reference. Good luck, you'll be drinking your beer in 4 weeks.

It is all a learning process. You'll be prepared for the next brew. Take the reading again in 48 hours, if the reading is still 1.006 which it probably will be then your fermentation has finished and you can bottle your beer.
I have done 3 x beers, a wine kit and a cider kit so far. So I am very new to this too, I just started in December. Each time I learn something new and make the process a little easier. Just make sure everything is clean and sanitised and you won't go too far wrong. After you prime your beer and bottle the brew, put it back to where you brewed your beer for 2 weeks and then move it somewhere cool for a further 2 weeks to condition. I keep a little note book, and everytime I do a beer I write down the Original Gravity readings and final readings. How much priming sugar I used etc. It helps as a reference. Good luck, you'll be drinking your beer in 4 weeks.
I've got 10 litres of turbo cider brewing away as well since last Wednesday and just bought a newkie brown kit lol

I always find it difficult to read the exact OG due to the froth.

20210307_175602.jpg

For this one I had to leave aside overnight til it cleared. I could stir it slightly to mix in LME which had started to drop and got my reading of 1060.

Any better methods than leaving overnight?

Did I imagine it or did someone here say if you spray the "head" with StarSan solution, it gets rid of the bubbles??

I always find it difficult to read the exact OG due to the froth.

View attachment 42858
For this one I had to leave aside overnight til it cleared. I could stir it slightly to mix in LME which had started to drop and got my reading of 1060.

Any better methods than leaving overnight?
Fill the test jar right up then blow the froth off it. (Do this in the sink!)

For what it's worth, I just chuck the hydromemeter straight into the FV to get my OG, just before aerating and pitching the yeast. You can usually find a place where it's not too frothy.

For what it's worth, I just chuck the hydromemeter straight into the FV to get my OG, just before aerating and pitching the yeast. You can usually find a place where it's not too frothy.
Yeah I used to attempt that but the bubbles/froth quickly enveloped it.

I'd seen someone post they use a turkey baster to draw off the wort for testing so that's what I've been doing.

I think filling to the top and letting the hydrometer in it to overflow the froth is a good shout. If not the odd spray of chemsan will be attempted!

Not quite ready for buying a refractometer yet....

Back