Hydrometer readings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1892

Reaction score
I started a coopers IPA with an American sb05 yeast 7 days ago. I dry hopped it after 5 days and checked the hydrometer reading at the same time which I was surprised was still at 1020 (original gravity was 1040 and normally I find it has reached 1010 by around this time, so I gave it a stir in case fermentation was stuck).

I checked the gravity again last night (after 7 days) and it is still sitting at 1020.

Is anyone able to shed any light on this?

Could it be your temperature? Your yeast might be dormant - what temperature are you fermenting at?

it is sitting at about 22 degrees. the room is about 13 degrees but I am using a brew belt.

You could try re-pitching the yeast.
Another way is to remove 2 litres of your stuck wort, add 1/2 litre of water and re-pitch.
When the ferment fires up, keep adding the rest of the wort a couple of litres at a time.

it bubbled away nicely for 4 days, and in fact I was wondering when it was going to reside so I could add the dry hops. the surface then pretty much cleared over night, and I would say you could see bits of yeast on the surface before I added the hops.

ok, thanks. I will add some more yeast. They don't have the sb-05 yeast in my local home brew shop - should I just pitch the stuff that came with the kit?

Will I need to take the hops out to stop it getting too bitter?

Hops only release their bittering qualities when boiling. So no worries about that. Some people say they get grassy tastes when their hops are in dry for too long. Personally I would leave them be but that's just me :thumb:

method 2 sounds complicated. I will give method 1 a try and come back if it doesn't work.

Thanks

What temperature are you mashing at?

I'm no biochemist so I can only conjecture from personal experience, but I've tended to notice much higher FG when I've let my mash get too hot. I'd guess it's something to do with bioavailability or some such sorcery, but I might just be talking out of my **** so feel free to ignore me.

e: vvvvvvv or the hydrometer could be off - probably worth testing it in some water if you didn't do that anyway

evanvine said:
Stuck ferments happen, normally with no obvious reason.
I reckon under pitching is a common cause of so called stuck ferments. This is particularly true when dry yeast isn't rehydrated first.

Borrovan said:
I've tended to notice much higher FG when I've let my mash get too hot.
Mashing high creates more long chain unfermentable sugars which will contribute to a higher FG.

it was just a kit, and i pitched at 22 degrees. i have tried adding a sachet of yeast tonight so will see what the hydrometer says in a couple of days. I assume the hydrometer is fine, as the wort measured 1040 before i pitched the yeast, which is the same as my last coopers kit. i dont know how likely it is the yeast will work this time seeing as the wort/beer isnt aerated anymore and dont want to introduce any more oxygen. will give it a few days and hope for the best...

I checked the gravity readings last night again and no change in the last 24 hours despite adding another sachet of yeast. I tried stirring it and gently rousing the sediment from the bottom of the fermenter. I saw someone do this on a youtube clip so I am hopeful it wont ruin the beer. does that sound a good idea?

i checked the hydrometer readings again last night, and still 1020. its been in the fermenter 12 days now. Is the best I can do just bottle this now and accept it will be a weak beer in terms of abv?

Latest posts

Back