Hydrometer Readings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Recently broke my old trusted hydrometer which I had for over 25 years.
I purchased a new one and for some reason it doesn't give me accurate OG readings.
Ive heard it said that this may be something to do with the temperature etc. But I had no such probs with my old one.
Any ideas as its basically brand new and worthless.

ty

I would assume some quality control at the factory before a company turns their hydrometers loose on beer makers. The device is really basic and should be easy to duplicate accurate ones.
"Inaccurate" is not an uncommon complaint around here and not sure how much of that has to do with a brewer's accounting for temperature and elevation.
Though I probably should, I never worry about how accurate mine is. If my OG is actually 1.080 and it reads 1.076, then my FG will be off by the same amount. I have not inspected my reasoning closely but I have not blown anything up yet.

Devils Advocate maybe the old one was giving the wrong readings and the new is right?

I'm still using my Loxford Wine and Beer tester - must be around the same age as your broken hydrometer.
I'll be disappointed when I eventually break it - bound to happen sometime.

I'm amazed by folk who have used the same hydrometer for years. I've broke 3 this year so far!

Same (3 hydros since March). Plus a sample test jar yesterday... :D

Last edited:
I'm amazed by folk who have used the same hydrometer for years. I've broke 3 this year so far!
Can't say I remember ever breaking a hydrometer - which would mean the one I'm using may be as old as 40 years. And I sanitise it every time by running boiling water over it...

Oh yes, and the thermometer I use belonged to my Mrs when I met her in 1979 and was already pretty old then. Which is why I always use fahrenheit instead of celcius.

I have broken a few in my 40 odd years of brewing. They have all been susceptible to temperature. I recall when I started using the good old Dave Line books, The Big Book of brewing and Brewing beers Like Those You Buy (subsequently copied more or less by another author!!) pointing this out and giving a temp correction table which I never found worked out. I always use a wort chiller before pitching, then I take a sample in the hydrometer jar and leave the hydrometer in for 20 mins or so. Give it a good spin from time to time. I have to say though i don't concern myself too much with the result; it's only for interest really that I bother. Doing a full mash i find I get about 90-94% extraction rate and formulate my recipes accordingly. Batches of malt do vary but a reasonable rule of thumb is 1lb malt gives 30 degrees per gallon. One can easily test the malt by using a small scale sample in a saucepan of water at mash temp.

All this trouble with hydrometers! I'll keep saying it, hydrometers are a fragile imitator of a proper tool to do the job. Hydrometers are not only fragile but also prone to errors (misaligned) and difficult to read. They were great in the 19th and 20th centuries, but today with excellent and affordable electronic weighing scales, what is needed is a pyknometer! And ... hang-on, I'm getting a lot of chatter in me ear ...

(Keep the noise down, I'm trying to hold a conversation ... what do you mean they're bored of hearing about pyknometers? ... There might be people here who haven't heard of them yet ... hold-on, I'll be sort you out in a bit).

... I've just got to go and sort this distractor out and I'll come back later ...

Latest posts

Back