Hydrometer??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suffolkbeer

Regular.
Reaction score
I’ve just broken my hydrometer....

To be honest It was a cheap one so not too worried lol.

I’d like to get a slightly better replacement (but don’t want to pay for a Stevenson Reeve!)

Is there anything decent at a lower price than the SR??

Have a look on this page at the Herculometer. They're made of plastic so won't break (I've broken the glass ones too). I got two - the high precision 0.980 to 1.020 for accurate FG measurement and the wider scale 1.000 to 1.070 for OG measurement. They're physically quite big and only just slide up and down in a "normal" sample tube.

I use one of these ...

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-floating-hydrometer-for-wine-beer/p/0022575

At £3.50 and a shop just up the road I can afford to break one every now and then.

BTW:
  1. Before use, I check that the reading is correct, treat it with care and then check it every so often anyway.
  2. The latest Wilco models are read from the surface of the sample and NOT from the top of the meniscus. (i.e. the bit that climbs up the side of the hydrometer due to surface tension.)

Hop and grape do precision ones to, can't post a link as I don't know how on a tablet
Hi!
Copy the link and paste in your reply:
https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/precision-finishing-glass-hydrometer.html
If you highlight a word and tap the Link icon, you can paste the link url so that it is hidden.
Screenshot_20181008-220925~2.png

How do you copy with no right mouse button?

Select the bit you want to copy, go to the top of the page and click on "Edit" then "Copy".

Then go to wherever you wish to paste the article you've copied, go to the top of the page and click on "Edit" then "Paste".

Bingo!

PS

If you've clicked on the "green" spot you will have a full page and have to go above the top of the page to see the instruction line.

Ba
Hi!
They look awesome! It's a shame that many of them are out of stock.
EDIT - they should be in stock next week, hopefully, according to Beer Hawk.
Back in stock now. Just ordered a 1.000 to 1.070 and a finishing hydrometer (0.980 to 1.020). Looking forward to not struggling with a reading. Also got a large hydrometer trial jar as I think the 100ml ones are too small. This is the only downside I feel.

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/herculometer-precision-scale-1-000-to-1-070

I've been looking at the precision ones. Thanks for the link. Although I normally use a refractometer just for ease. Only requires a single drop for a sample.

But when you get close to the end it can be a pain trying to read it.

Hmmm! "More money than sense!" my Mum used to say ...

... so I bought a pair of magnifying specs from Tesco for £1 instead.
I actually don't have difficulties with vision, I've just never found it easy to read the triple scale Stevenson hydrometers. It doesn't really matter too much but I personally find it's a bit of a guessing game with the cheap hydrometers and being finicky I want to know if the OG is 1.043 or 1.046. The "herculometer" is only £5 or so which is not much more than the cheap Wilko ones. The scale is twice the size and it shouldn't shatter like my previous hydrometer when clumsily dropped. Will see if it's an improvement...

Ba

Back in stock now. Just ordered a 1.000 to 1.070 and a finishing hydrometer (0.980 to 1.020). Looking forward to not struggling with a reading. Also got a large hydrometer trial jar as I think the 100ml ones are too small. This is the only downside I feel.

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/herculometer-precision-scale-1-000-to-1-070
The 100ml jars are a tight fit but with a little tilting to keep it upright it will settle correctly. The advantage of the fat bulb on the hydrometer is that you only need about 40ml of wort for a reading in a 100ml jar.

This is why I turned to using a refractometer. Only need a drop. But I still often double check with a hydrometer. I found there's a very small percentage of error. Nothing to write home about.

But I'd still like a finishing hydrometer. The expanded scale would make things a lot easier.

I didn't know they existed until I saw one at my wedding venue 2 years back.

Yes I got married in a brewery

This is why I turned to using a refractometer. Only need a drop. But I still often double check with a hydrometer. I found there's a very small percentage of error. Nothing to write home about.

But I'd still like a finishing hydrometer. The expanded scale would make things a lot easier.

I didn't know they existed until I saw one at my wedding venue 2 years back.

Yes I got married in a brewery

Black sheep?

Latest posts

Back