I blame the weather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wynott

Regular.
Reaction score
:confused: ...two stuck ferments this week, and all else is going snail's pace.

I blame the weather. Anyone else struggling with these temperatures? I'm thinking of buying a second heat pad.

Mine seems to be OK at the moment, a couple of WOWs on the go, so nothing too special.

I use a heat mat or belt for primary regulated with the an inkbird (Don`t laugh) but my mum has just knitted these for me for when they go into the larder for secondary. As I was telling her that they get a bit cold. :laugh8:

Attachments

• IMG_20210514_113923.jpg
    IMG_20210514_113923.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20210514_142533.jpg
    IMG_20210514_142533.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 56
I use a heat mat or belt for primary regulated with the an inkbird (Don`t laugh) but my mum has just knitted these for me for when they go into the larder for secondary. As I was telling her that they get a bit cold. :laugh8:
Oh I love those 😍. I can see a niche very desirable product line on Etsy... really these are fab 😆!

Anna

I have a FV of Rose fermenting at the moment its sat at 20c in my kitchen with no heat source.

They are Fab! Your Mum should go into business making them.

:confused: ...two stuck ferments this week, and all else is going snail's pace.

I blame the weather. Anyone else struggling with these temperatures? I'm thinking of buying a second heat pad.

I'm having a similar problem so I'm using my heat mats. I bought six from Alibaba along with an auto temperature gauge. The whole lot cost about €30. It took 9 weeks to arrive. I'm also covering the fermenters in tracksuit tops purchased from a local charity shop so as to further regulate the temperature and keep out any UV light.

Maybe the trick is to use a yeast that ferments at lower temperatures? Last year I got caught out by fermenting in a south facing spare bedroom when curtains were not enough to keep the heat of the sun out causing me to frantically apply ice packs etc. I recently fermented a brew in a utility room where the average temperature was 12°C using Wilko Gervin which resulted in the clearest beer I have ever produced. I know the yeast is flavour neutral and the FG was a little high but in my view preferable to a stuck fermentation.

Oh, that is a lovely picture, Gwen - I'll see if I can get some made for me too!

Maybe the trick is to use a yeast that ferments at lower temperatures? Last year I got caught out by fermenting in a south facing spare bedroom when curtains were not enough to keep the heat of the sun out causing me to frantically apply ice packs etc. I recently fermented a brew in a utility room where the average temperature was 12°C using Wilko Gervin which resulted in the clearest beer I have ever produced. I know the yeast is flavour neutral and the FG was a little high but in my view preferable to a stuck fermentation.
I just checked my records, one was 'standard' Young's yeast, and the other was Lalvin EC1118 (as I was using brown sugar and less confident). I'll remember this though, and try the Gervin another time.

I just checked my records, one was 'standard' Young's yeast, and the other was Lalvin EC1118 (as I was using brown sugar and less confident). I'll remember this though, and try the Gervin another time.
Wilko Gervin is Nottingham in different clothes but cheaper at £2. Nottingham had sold out at my LHBS but on their site claimed to work at 10°C which I think is ambitious. The ambient temperature in my case plus heat generated by fermentation produced 15°C which worked well. I think the position is that because strains of yeast are natural products manufacturers cannot claim exclusive rights to any particular one which may therefore appear under different guises.

I have a FV of Rose fermenting at the moment its sat at 20c in my kitchen with no heat source.
After converting the garage the brewing/gaming room had to have the radiator shut off a while back and after buying a thermometer have been monitoring the temperature which has not dropped below 18.5° and has risen to 20.5° so should be ideal freeing up my fermentation chamber for lagers.
PXL_20210512_180458137.jpg

EC-1118 has one of the widest temperature ranges of any yeast.It can actually ferment (very slowly) in a fridge.
Its also fast acting (too fast for some) With an 18% tolerance it normally ferments everything it touches bone dry.

This is very odd,
Are you sure there is not something else wrong,?????

I racked them both into clean DJs today, and checked the S.G. One was 1.024, and one was a not too disrespectable 1.010. I made up starters and added to each. The 1.010 is going, albeit slowly, but faster than the 1.024. I guess one possibility is that I got some measurement wrong e.g. sugar. Anyway, I will leave them be and see what happens.

Onward and upwards - I have a Daisy on the go, and am going to make my first attempt at Oak Leaves soon. And my lovely neighbour has promised me access to her lilac tree when it eventually blooms. I shall probably regret it when I have to sit and pick off 7 pts of flowers though :laugh8:

Oak leaves and buds can make a good wine,But the tannin's are on the high side,So the wine is likely to be a "keeper" until it matures.
If I where you i would gather them now while they are still tender.

I've been keeping an eye on local Oak trees, and the are only just now moving from the green/red stage of the first leaves to all green. We are (supposedly) due some dry weather at the weekend, so off I will go. It's still only 10/11 degrees here today.

The daisy recipe recommended 2 3/4lbs sugar plus 21oz grapefruit juice, but I restrained myself to 1kg sugar and 16oz juice, which made the O.G. 1.084, so glad I went no further, or I could end up with a 'sticker' again.

Latest posts

Back