I blew my top last night

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first keg of ale, woodfordes wherry kit. Had a nice bit of carbonation to each glass. Third glass poured from the barrel and the pour slowed right down and stopped so I thought it needed a little gas to re pressurise. So I twisted the little gas bottle onto the keg. It made me jump as it hissed for literally a second as I released it off in shock. I gave it a second twist and boom the top of the barrel blew off into my hand. Still in total shock over it and cant believe I still had beer in the barrel not all over the garage.
I transferred to a king keg. Now I am really worried and nervous that the beer will go flat. Should I be brave and re gas the new keg or will it naturally build up enough pressure to keep it carbonated?
The keg that blew was second hand and the KKeg is brand new. But now thinking maybe I should invest in Cornelius keg system

Attachments

• IMG_20210416_194843.jpg
    IMG_20210416_194843.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20210416_195318.jpg
    IMG_20210416_195318.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20210416_195957.jpg
    IMG_20210416_195957.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 55
Adding more sugar will naturally re-prime the beer.

Pressurising the new KK would be fine also. The older keg may just be older than it looks!

I think that you should be calm, relax and get a beer, mate!

Wow! That must've been a scary episode. Does it look like a manufacturing fault or has the PB been dropped and cracked?

Wow! That must've been a scary episode. Does it look like a manufacturing fault or has the PB been dropped and cracked?
It was second hand but It looked in good condition. We had walked away from some second hand barrels previously as they looked ruff.
I had filled it with water and checked for leaks before use and didn't notice anything unusual. You never know how something has been treated before, so might of been chucked around. But I guess it had to happen to me 🙄 just so glad it didn't spray the whole garage.

Back