I can't seem to brew!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not_so_brite

Reaction score
So, I've just had to pour yet another batch down the sink as it was a dud. I've made nine batches now and of these, I think only two have been drinkable.

I started out with a fantastic little kit from Home Brewtique, and my first 5L batch (an IPA I think) came out great and was actually quite tasty. Thrilled by this early success, I bought another couple of recipe kits from them however the second batch was no good (I can't remember why), and I just rushed the third batch and didn't give it enough time in the fermenter I think so ended up throwing that one away too.

Undeterred, I decided to invest in some better equipment as I was still very much enjoying the homebrew process and the challenge of actually making good beer. I bought a small SS Brewtech kettle, and a stainless steel fermenter (Mini Brew Bucket, which holds about 10L), as well as a mini-keg, to try out alongside the normal swing-top bottles I use.

Unfortunately, I have continued to make terrible beer and the of the six batches I have run through this setup, only one has been drinkable, and even then it was hardly anything to write home about. I have tried to keep some notes about my recent brewing experiences, as each time there has been something I have been able to improve on, however, I am getting to the point of just packing the equipment away for good or even selling it.

A quick summary of the recent reasons for tossing various batches include:

- under carbonated end result (not sure of the reason for this as I added 25g of sugar per 5L when priming)
- tasted like plasters / medicinal (I think I let it get too hot in the fermenter in the first couple of days)
- just tasted terrible (this one was totally my fault as I was impatient to taste it and didn't give it enough time when priming)
- another one with a medicinal taste (don't know why)
- beer was very cloudy and yeasty, was not properly carbonated, and was very watery with no 'body' to it (don't know why)

In terms of some of the main things I don't currently do, I suppose the following areas could be reasons, although I know that loads of homebrewers are making a good beer with these limitations so they should not be an excuse:

- Of late I've just been letting the wort cool in the fermenter overnight and then pitching the yeast the next day
- I don't have any temperature control when fermenting, so just use ice packs in a cool bag to keep the fermenter in the target range

I've watched hours and hours of videos on youtube and read dozens of guides and hundreds of forum posts, and I genuinely don't think I am doing anything that is particularly strange that I am aware of in my process.

What should I do??!! Are there just some people that can never make decent homebrew? To clarify, I am not a complete disaster in other things that require you to follow a recipe or set of instructions, and really have been taking each brew day and overall brew process as seriously as possible, so it's incredibly frustrating to keep messing up!

Hmm, yes, I have been adding campden.

When I take the lid of the fermenter it normally looks nice and normal inside so I hadn't thought any batches were infected but will do some more reading if that could be the cause of that.

It's a shame..but at least you keep trying...
Do as M says to start. If you have an infection you need to absolutely clean everything and sanitise before starting again. Cheap bleach solution is as good as anything but will need a good rinse.
Cooling can be an issue as the weather turns hotter as the longer you leave the wort exposed the more risk there is. Leaving it overnight is a good option but you must seal it properly...cling film is ok. As you've found patience is your friend...
Ares you trying random brews,ones you've seen recommended or trying to make what you like?
Chin up... you'll get there.

You also say your beer was very cloudy and yeasty and no body this is also another sign of an infection as brett (a wild yeast) can do this. Did you take an FG reading?

When you say your beer "just tasted terrible" can you describe the taste?

It may not be an infection btw as other things cause these things

Am I right in thinking the OP tossed beer because it was under carbonated and because it was too young? Time would have helped both of those. Ditto the cloudy one.

As Myqul says, medicinal/plaster taste is usually bleach - do you use bleach based sanitisers and are you rinsing properly?

Thank you all - sounds like lots of valid points to consider so I will explore these in more detail.

The strange thing is that at each stage of the process, all of the signs seem to indicate that the beer is coming along nicely:

- my efficiency initially was not great, but then I realised that the grains needed to be crushed more finely as I am using BIAB, so when I ordered them like this, it has increased to around 75%
- my OG and also FG is always very close to what the recipe advises. Indeed, for my last batch which was a Californian Common, I hit both targets exactly, but this was arguably one of the worst ones to date
- I use star-san (or whatever that new equivalent one is) to sterilise, but may need to do this better

I will look into just giving it more time to see if that helps, although even there I have been trying to extend each period - I am now leaving it in the fermenter for at least two weeks (even though I reach FG after around 10 days max), and then three weeks to either bottle condition or naturally prime in the keg.

The thing that you need to know is where in the process the beer is failing, do you taste the beer prior to bottling/kegging via test tube when you take an FG reading? is it ok then? if it is then you will know that it's your bottling/kegs that are causing the off flavours. If it's not good before packaging then you know that it is failing during fermentation.

Last edited:
Sodium percarbonate or VWP - could that be a problem?
VWP was a source of that "medicinal" taste with me. It really has to be heavily rinsed. Since I stopped using it I have never had a problem, and the was over 20 years ago.

I use both of those...mostly the sodium percarbonate.
Hmmm...it's a strange one...are you expecting your first attempts to look and taste exactly like commercial beers?
Homebrew can taste a lot different...and not in a bad way..I actually prefer my beers to a lot you can buy...

Not at all, at this stage, I was only ever looking for something that would just be drinkable, but even that seems to be too high a bar at present!

One thing I've just remembered (that could be a massive no-no!!), is that I will often clean out the kettle and fermenter immediately after use in the sink using some washing up liquid, in order to get the main leftovers cleaned away so I can then do a 'proper' clean using one of the cleaners recommended when homebrewing. Could this be causing issues down the road the next time I am using the equipment?

I remember when I first joined the forum...and mentioned washing up liquid...and I had a bollocking off someone...
DONT USE WASHING UP LIQUID!
There...I've passed it on...it's a steep curve...I'm sure you'll sort it out.

Not at all, at this stage, I was only ever looking for something that would just be drinkable, but even that seems to be too high a bar at present!

One thing I've just remembered (that could be a massive no-no!!), is that I will often clean out the kettle and fermenter immediately after use in the sink using some washing up liquid, in order to get the main leftovers cleaned away so I can then do a 'proper' clean using one of the cleaners recommended when homebrewing. Could this be causing issues down the road the next time I am using the equipment?

Doing this can cause problems but no the ones your experiencing. If you dont wash out the fairy properly you can be left with a residual taste. It will also effect the head on your beer negatively

The three things most people would say contribute most to a successful brew are cleanliness, temperature control, and time/patience so this is a good place to start.

I would say scrap all non-organic bleaches. Wash (you can use Fairy liquid) and rinse everything thoroughly, then sterilise with a “no rinse” steriliser like sodium percarbonate - don’t be tempted to make a stronger mix thinking this will be better, it isn’t.

Make sure you control the temperature of the mash, that you pitch the yeast at the right temperature, and that you ferment at the right temperature, ideally for two weeks. When you bottle, leave the bottle somewhere around 20C for at least two weeks then store somewhere cool for another month before you drink it.

Latest posts

Back