I have a bag of MO .... and Im not afraid to use it..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Despite my brewery being incomplete I dropped into my local Micro brewery and bought 25KG of MO.

Anyone got a nice easy non too hoppy single hop recipe to get me off and running.

My genius is single hop, not too hoppy and easy to make. but you'll need a couple of other bits for your grist

You could try a single hop, single malt brew like 100% Satisfaction or Styrian Stunner. I started with those but they came out quite hoppy

i've also got a variant of my genius that's a little sweeter but for some reason has a nice smokey taste on the first sip, only needs 500g of wheat malt added to the genius recipe and 120 min mash to pull off.

edit - plus with a stout it doesn't matter if it's hazy ;)

What's the idea of the 120 min mash? i was led to believe the business end of things was finished after 60 mins.

when i did the second genius (now called tard because of a successful cock up) the boiler was occupied with boiling the previous batch and so ended up with 30 more mins in the mash tun than i intended.

I only said 120 mins because that's how mine turned out and it turned out to be better than the original Genius recipe i was trying to brew ;) (and wouldn't want to quote something i've not done)

i've seen 120 mashes in recipe books. perhaps someone can enlighten us as to whether it benefits :)

I think Durden Park are famous for them but as far as i understand there is no benefit to it with modern malt.

ooooh i feel another taste test experiment coming on down my local :D

one mashed for 60 mins, one for 120... in the interests of science, brewing and for the sake of drinking **** loads :D

Nice one Frisp ;) Did your micro do you a good deal? I pay £20 for 25kg from my local

Re the recipe, there are a few good ones around, I think we can all help out with that :grin:

I'll post one later :cool:

I think it was good at £1 a kilo. He was almost apologetic when he asked for 25, But to buy it from a local malthouse its 28 he was surprised when I snatched his hand off. and if he makes a bit I can go back and everyone is hoppy.
I quite like the idea of Tard. So Im off to research Brewstew's posts
That said, Fire me recipes and I will see what one wins on Sunday!

:clap: :clap:

Sound like a good night there Frisp :party:

Here's the taRd recipe. it's called taRd (as in retard) cos it was supposed to be Genius but i cocked it up by adding the wheat malt by accident, and having a longer mash because the other brew was hogging the boiler :lol:

taRd:

Batch Size (L): 24.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.750
OG: 1050

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75-80 % - I haven't worked it out yet
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
3.750 kg. Pale Malt - Maris Otter
1.000 kg. Flaked Barley
0.500 kg. Crushed Roast Barley
0.500 kg. Wheat Malt

Hops
70.0g Northern Brewer Hops (60 minutes Boil)

5g Irish Moss Fining 15 Min. (boil)

Yeast
Safale 04

I did a 120 minute mash @ 66 deg C but if you want to go less, go for it and let me know your results :D
Mine was fly sparged
Boil is 60 minutes

hope you like it as much as I and the 20 odd people that have tried it so far ;)

Latest posts

Back