I have some leftover hops and malt I need to use - challenger, Sabro and Chinook...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My fermenter is lying dormant, which is a travesty, so want to knock up a brew using up some left over hops. Think I've got enough grain and hops to brew up a 19 litre batch of pale ale or IPA style beer while I'm away on holiday next week. So was thinking about using some Challenger in the boil for some light bittering and I have just over 80g of Sabro and Chinook, not quite 50/50 ratio, but not far off, which I can use in a hop stand. I have a sachet of S05 and a sachet of Verdant yeast, probably go with Verdant to bring out fruity flavours of the Chinook and Sabro. My thinking is to brew it up on Friday, let it ferment out through the course of next week and maybe dry hop when I get back - will have time to order more hops for the dry hops while I'm away so they'll be waiting for me.

Does that sound like a good hop combo? I have some Admiral too but Challenger sounds like a more gentle bettering hop which will not fight too much with the more fruity Sabro and Chinook.

Base malt will mostly be Maris Otter but have some oats, wheat and dribs and drabs of Vienna, Munich and a few other varieties. Should have enough to knock up a batch.

What do you reckon? chuck it in and give it a go, or wait till I get back and order some more ingredients and use in another recipe?

Latest posts

Back