I it generally cheaper

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brew setup has cost about £3k + 10 kegs at £50ea + keezer build at about £300 + fermenters and fridges about £400 + all the other bits and pieces about £400. Im almost breaking even now (thats what I tell my wife)...

I only started brewing again last summer. I’m a retired “bean counter” and do enjoy tracking the costs and working out how much each brew is.

My initial equipment was bought 2nd hand and to date, I’ve spent just over £1,300 on kit & ingredients.

I’m up to Brew 27 and have produced 1,120 0.5l bottles, so about £1.16 each. I’ve enough ingredients though for my next 10 brews, so this will soon come down to under £1. *

So whilst I do track the costs, I’m not purposely trying to brew cheap beer. For instance, the cost of ingredients for my next two brews range from £10.36 for 25l of Old Hooky from a Graham Wheeler recipe to a stonking £36.21 for 18l of James Morton’s Paradigm Shift.

* unless I’m tempted to buy one of Hazelwood’s shiny grain baskets for my cygnet !

It can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be. But with the minimum unit pricing we have now in Wales you could buy the basic equipment and a beer kit and still save money. Using this calculator I can see that 40 pints of 4.5% beer should be no less than £51.12

You can get everything you need from Wilko and a kit plus sugar for £40.
Then just use some 2L fizzy water bottles when it's time to bottle and you're already saving.

Then each further brew saves you £30-40 depending on the kit. And you can save that if you want and use it for better equipment.
I'm happy with the low tech side of things plus I'm not making as many trips to the shops.

3 burco boilers @£70 = £210 ( a few years ago)
brewed 600 batches of 40 pints in 15 years = 24,000 pints
typical brew grain £4 hops £7
steriliser say £20 per year yeast £20 per year

I make that 31 pence a pint

Latest posts

Back