I think my beer is over attenuating post dry hop..... shall I cold crash now?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDHIPA

Reaction score
I currently have a Hazy IPA sitting in my fermzilla at 20c that hit FG 3 days ago 5 days since pitch using WHC Brexit yeast. I dry hopped and now the FG has started dropping further..... into the realms of over attenuation. It was supposed to finish at 1.014ish and now its closer to 1.011. Fairly sure its hop creep (I'm going to dry dry hopping at 14c post dactyl rest for my next batch)

Usually I tend to ferment for 7 days then dry hop for three whilst sitting at 21c for a diacetyl rest and then cold crash at day 10 for two days before kegging but this yeast is a monster and ate through it like it was nothing.

I have three options:

- Leave it be for longer
- Kill the heat in my Ferm chamber and slowly cold crash to ambient temp before transferring to keg (I don't have a fridge big enough to fit the fermzilla)
- transfer into keg to cold crash in a fridge and transfer to serving keg after a few days, this is possibly my preferred option at the moment??

cant believe there is a Brexit yeast lol, anyway I would never dry hop at 20, enzymes in hops can perform similar types of dextrin cutting that alpha and beta amylase can hence hop creep you really want yeast out of the equation when dry hopping I will often go down to under 12 on an ale yeast before dry hopping.

Also the optimal diactyl rest temp is 14 this is a hombrewers myth that its in the 20s

You really want to stop this before it over attenuates so I would get it into something that fits in fridge and get it cold

Last edited:
cant believe there is a Brexit yeast lol, anyway I would never dry hop at 20, enzymes in hops can perform similar types of dextrin cutting that alpha and beta amylase can hence hop creep you really want yeast out of the equation when dry hopping I will often go down to under 12 on an ale yeast before dry hopping.

Also the optimal diactyl rest temp is 14 this is a hombrewers myth that its in the 20s

You really want to stop this before it over attenuates so I would get it into something that fits in fridge and get it cold
Within an hour of reading this I had it closed transferred into a keg and it’s now crashing down to 3c. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

Every brew day is a school day! My copy of Scott Janish’s The New IPA book arrived today so I have plenty of reading to do

mate that book will improve your brewing process and what you do at least 10 fold, happy reading hope your brew still turns out ok!

Latest posts

Back