I want to grow hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobarian

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I would like to grow my own hops so that I can add them to my all grain recipes. Has anyone else done this? If so do you have any useful tips and do you know where I can get seeds to grow them?

Thank you! A really useful source of information. I think I have missed the boat this year by about a month. Lots of time to upskill and get ready for next year!

There are long thread about that here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/hop-plants-rhizomes-growing-report.69518And in another recent thread about this subject here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/buying-hops-to-grow-in-the-uk.86718I said this....
Growing hops is really a fun thing, but can take up a lot of time particularly at hop harvesting time when you have to dry the hops, although you can brew using green hops. You also have to store the hops and that may require investment in vac packing or similar. However I store my hops in poly bags in my beer fridge, because otherwise they would take up too much space in the freezer since they are leaf not pellets (obviously)
Anyway long thread on hop growing here
Hop plants/rhizomes - growing report
There are others so use the forum search engine.
In short you buy a certified rhizome (rootstock) and plant it in the dormant season as others have said. It must be one that carries female not male flowers. Growing from seed is not advised. First shoots should appear in March/April time dependant upon where you are in the UK
There are mainly two sorts of hops, regular hops that can ultimately grow to 7/8 metres, and a small group of dwarf hops including Prima Donna (or First Gold) which grow to about 3 metres. In both cases you select about three strong shoots and then allow them to grow up strong cord or over something since they are strong climbers . You can grow them in large pots but in the ground is better. I have 2 Prima Donna in large pots.
A rhizome will take 3 years to come to full capacity. In the first year don't expect much
And when you have harvested the hop cones (flowers) at just the right time, in August/September time in a window of about one week, you will then have to thoroughly dry them for storage (unless you use some to make a green hop beer)
To buy try these people, there are others I'm sure
Essentially Hops
Finally you have no real knowledge of what the %AA is from your crop, other than by rough comparison with commercial varieties, so they are only ideally used as flavour or aroma hops. That said I guessed my%AA and appear to have got it about right so use them as abittering hop in the single hop beer I do with them.

I had a bash with a first gold but was unsuccessful. I put the failure down to trying to grow it in too small a pot and not placing it in enough sunlight

Be prepared for a lot of effort with minimal gains. Its a lot of fun though, this year I am training mine horizontally for added entertainment.
I'm going to try and split the rhizome as well once its cropped so may offer around in the group if successful.

I had a bash with a first gold but was unsuccessful. I put the failure down to trying to grow it in too small a pot and not placing it in enough sunlight
The pots I use for my First Gold are at least 15 litres probably nearer 20litres. I would not want to put them in anything smaller.
Last year (2nd year) I got 220g dry hops from two plants. and that is in spite of me nearly losing them in June due to lack of water on one very hot day. They are not in direct sunlight.
If you are going to grow them in pots, first the pots have to be big enough, then you have to keep them well watered, and last you have to keep them regularly fed. I use Miracle Gro.

Be prepared for a lot of effort with minimal gains. Its a lot of fun though, this year I am training mine horizontally for added entertainment.
I'm going to try and split the rhizome as well once its cropped so may offer around in the group if successful.

cant agree more, I’ve only got 2 plants and they produced enough for 1 whole brew last year! it’s pretty cool drinking your own hops though

Those threads posted above are a really good resource and I might be repeating myself and others here, but in short hops are relatively easy to grow. I've got something like 11 plants spread out in NW London and NW Kent and they've been quite hassle free. TBH I've not put as much effort into them as other forumites have to theirs, but those who take good care probably get higher yields than me, but it's not practical for me right now and I get plenty of hops anyway.

The first couple of years I'd pay special attention to them, regular watering, good feeding etc. and once they're established (usually third or fourth season) they are really hardy plants and actually quite difficult to get rid of. To get flowers they do need a lot of sun though.

I've got three plants in my allotment, I grow them along a fence or two and up to about eight feet. They are 3-4 years old I think, last year I got about 7kg wet, which is over 1kg dry weight. I don't feed them at all or water them no need to in Glasgow. I do train them where to go though. I made one wet hop beer with 1.5kg wet centennial, the rest I dried in a dehydrator and then vac packed and froze.

Like brewing growing hops can save you money in the long run, but only as long as you treat it as a hobby you enjoy so you don't count your time :)

I have a Fuggle and a Progress hop plant that are in year 4. They love sunshine and growing vertically. The first year I got about half a kilo of dry hop cones. Last year I got about 2.5 kilos of dry hop cones. I vacuum pack them and keep them in the freezer. I end up giving them away as I can’t use them all for myself. You can’t calculate the AA from your own hops unless you have the correct lab equipment and knowledge. I just look up what the average is for my variety. I’m not a gardener, but enjoy growing hops. I also enjoy harvesting Even though it’s very time consuming. It’s very rewarding brewing using home grown hops.

As others have said, you can't easily determine the AA of your hops (£1000s pounds worth of testing equipment), so it's a bit trial and error. I've got some First Gold that I tend to use for bittering.

I also tried some from seeds this year that a well-meaning friend gave. About 50 seeds resulted in only 3 germinating, and I've NO idea what type, probably end up being the ornamental Golden hop. So yes, buy bare-rooted and you're guaranteed to get a specific variety. Unless you're in a specifically warm area (e.g. far South West), I'd suggest native or European variety. Some of the more exotic ones are only available to commercial growers.

Latest posts

Back